Gold Coin and Incredible Story

MD

Apr 4, 2005
Went to the local park and a couple of late teens walked up and said they know where some gold coins are. Naturally, I kept my distance thinking I'm going to get mugged. One of them said his truck broke down along the road and he started finding gold coins. He said he had been selling them to a jeweler, about 20 in all. Preparing for the worse, I followed them to the spot. I looked for a while without finding anything. They had to go so we exchanged information. We made a deal that if I find a substantial amount, we are going to split. I was thinking this is the biggest B.S. story I have ever heard. They aren't going to mug me, instead they are going to drive by and laugh at the idiot along the road and probably take some video for candid camera while they are at it. However, I spent a couple of hours looking. I did find one coin to vindicate the story. There might possibly be more there. I will go back and look more another day.
It's the same diameter as a nickel, but half as thick. It's a 1935 20 Frank. It rings mostly at a 35 on the MXT, but does fluxuate from the 20's to 50's, which makes me wonder if I've left gold coins undug thinking they are trash.
P.S. Also found 4 Stinkin' Lincolns and a 60 Rosie out there in the middle of nowhere. Go figure. HH to all!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MD

Apr 4, 2005
Sorry wrong Coin. Meant to attach the Swiss Frank. Here it is.

Attachments

• Swiss Frank Obverse.jpg
    Swiss Frank Obverse.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 466
  • Swiss Frank Reverse.jpg
    Swiss Frank Reverse.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 460

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where is the picture of the gold coin??? Nice story!
Looks like Japanese on the back! I willl find out what it says...Dave

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice!!
This was found in the US?

OP
OP
M

MD

Apr 4, 2005
Yes, found in the U.S. I think I know what happened, but am not discussing it here. Someone dumped them along the road. Incredible story, but 100% authentic.

catfishterry

Jan 22, 2006
Troy Il.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Vibra probe
A new neighbor was telling me about when he was a kid they found a ceramic log filled with coins they didn't reconize so him and a buddy took them (two coffee cans full ) and was tossing them along the tracks in what is now a very bad neighborhood, these coins turned out to be $5.00 gold pieces his father and older sister verified this story. He told me he would snow me where they tossed them at but this place is not safe at all.

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You got lucky dude. I would have thought these guys were playin you for a sucker too. Congrats on a great find and nice of them to turn you on to a cool sight to hunt!

Happy Hunting,
Moon

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story and thats what gold looks like, i have forgotten what it looks like.its been a long time since i found some. lol lol

tinpan

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a GREAT story MD! Wow! :o

Congrats on your find and good luck to you on finding many more!

Nana ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions