gold coin and more

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
this is for you arm chair EXPERTS the last set i am posting

Thats very good of you, not so keen on the way you put it, but the photo will help those in the 'know'.

I thought this one looked the most likely one to be real, but I have limited knowledge of these & also found it odd that it was in the 'mix'. If you read back, I suggested a kids treasure stash, some time ago. The facts, whatever they turn out to be, still don't take away this as being a great find & an interesting story & show piece. Facts is what we should all be hunting for. I love learning about all the history & believe me it's pretty hard with how much we have around here!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news is the coin looks better as your scanner obviously distorts the image.

The bad news is you have a rotten attitude because people are only trying to help with your finds. I have no problem admitting the coin looks a lot better with the larger scan. Why wouldn't it be suspect when as I said the image was not clear and the others are reproductions.

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
i am sorry but i can take only so much.about the only way some of them will be happy is i send them the coins so they can see it for themself,which i will not do but i will be sending them in to get graded in a few weeks when i have the money to do it.that is the reason i do not post very often i have alot of old coins i have found over the years but dont need to drama some of you are making.i am about read to have the modarator remove this one.

CRUSADER said:
kwdstalker said:

Thats very good of you, not so keen on the way you put it, but the photo will help those in the 'know'.

I thought this one looked the most likely one to be real, but I have limited knowledge of these & also found it odd that it was in the 'mix'. If you read back, I suggested a kids treasure stash, some time ago. The facts, whatever they turn out to be, still don't take away this as being a great find & an interesting story & show piece. Facts is what we should all be hunting for. I love learning about all the history & believe me it's pretty hard with how much we have around here!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kwdstalker said:
must be the soil you have where ever you are from coins here most of the time are in good shape except for the Zink ones.i have found of 40 wheat’s in the last few years and all but 5 or 6 are in good shape. As for these the purse was found on the side of an incline in what is pasture 10 feet from the house

Well, there is a difference between good shape and completely undamaged, is my point.
I've found 100's of wheaties and a few IHP's, most I would say are in "good shape" also.
I found a slew of old nickels and wheaties the other day, all are in what I consider to be very good shape
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=261236
I consider being able to identify what it is and a readable date as "good shape" - And most of those that I have found are in remarkably good shape for being in the ground so long - Unlike, as you say, the post 1982 stinky zincies, which corrode with the greatest of ease.
But I have found nary a 1 that looks like it just dropped out of a pocket, hence my skepticism that they have been long underground.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
i am sorry but i can take only so much.about the only way some of them will be happy is i send them the coins so they can see it for themself,which i will not do but i will be sending them in to get graded in a few weeks when i have the money to do it.that is the reason i do not post very often i have alot of old coins i have found over the years but dont need to drama some of you are making.i am about read to have the modarator remove this one.

CRUSADER said:
kwdstalker said:

Seriously, if I've offended, I'm sorry. I always say what I see, without thinking sometimes.

if others have been off the mark, just brush it off. You found it, its an interesting find which you will never repeat. don't let others get you down, there is no reason.

Most on here where just trying to help, take the help, hell I know I do. I've got it wrong a thousand times. Its part of the process.

Don't take it off, we have all enjoyed it (except maybe you at this time). You may look back & laugh when its graded :icon_thumright:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Images reposted a bit smaller so that they are [hopefully] viewable

Attachments

• img486a.jpg
    img486a.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 574
  • img487a.jpg
    img487a.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 567
OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
before pictures so you can see they were not like out of the pocket as for fuzzy i just found it.

Xraywolf said:
kwdstalker said:
must be the soil you have where ever you are from coins here most of the time are in good shape except for the Zink ones.i have found of 40 wheat’s in the last few years and all but 5 or 6 are in good shape. As for these the purse was found on the side of an incline in what is pasture 10 feet from the house

Well, there is a difference between good shape and completely undamaged, is my point.
I've found 100's of wheaties and a few IHP's, most I would say are in "good shape" also.
I found a slew of old nickels and wheaties the other day, all are in what I consider to be very good shape
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=261236
I consider being able to identify what it is and a readable date as "good shape" - And most of those that I have found are in remarkably good shape for being in the ground so long - Unlike, as you say, the post 1982 stinky zincies, which corrode with the greatest of ease.
But I have found nary a 1 that looks like it just dropped out of a pocket, hence my skepticism that they have been long underground.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kwd, I am not doubting that you found this.
I am doubting that this has been in the ground very long ,,, And if thats true, how and why it got there for you to discover will likely never be known.

When posting pics, kindly resize them so that are viewable.
Try this
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Scroll down for "image resizer".
Very convenient right click interface, and free.
While designed for windows XP, I have heard it works with Vista also.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alnitak said:
I have to say I had the same immediate reaction as Buckles and IronPatch. The CA gold coin looks immediately suspect, and a quick bit of research online will show that it is a replica. That caused me to look at the other coins in context, and its easy to track down the Mexican coin as a fake token as well. Given that, and the presence of other trinkets then led me to believe that all of the "coins" were just replicas and this was some kid's treasure purse of trinkets. The only coin that looks generally real is the 1887 $5 gold coin...but it seems unlikely to be real if the others are all replicas. It just bugged me. Then I saw IronPatch's photos of a real 1887 gold piece and now I doubt that it is real either.

I took the image and imported it into Photoshop, and then imported the image IronPatch posted. I set up the two as layers and then rescaled the purse coin to make it the same size as the real coin. Doing so and then blinking the layers, you can see that there are a lot of differences: The crown with Liberty in it is lower at the front on the found coin; the date doesn't quite line up right (as IronPatch noted); the curls in the hair are not identical, especially on the neck; the front of the neck/bustline does not match; the nose and mouth are different. It's all subtle, and it takes a sharp eye to notice it. Great catch, IronPatch!

Take a look at the animated GIF file to see what I mean.

http://www.pbase.com/jhapeman/image/115853386/coin.gif

My conclusion is that this is a kid's purse of trinkets. Now, does that mean that the gold coins are not gold? No. Many of the CA gold token replicas are actually gold, and 22K is a common composition for them. Again, research online will show this. They were frequently sold by jewelers in the 60's and 70's as souvenirs, and you can still find them all over eBay. It's possible the $5 gold coin is also gold, and the Mexican tokens are probably low-karat gold as well. It's just that it seems very unlikely that any of these coins are authentic at this point--and frankly it makes sense when you look at the collection as a whole. I would guess that a professional grading service will be able to easily validate whether that $5 is authentic or not.

It's still a great find, and I would be delighted to find it personally.

Great job with the photo shop :thumbsup:

To me it was very obvious that the found coin has an extremely high probability of being a repro. I am not an EXPERT but the differences between the two coins are like night and day. Take the time to look at them, you will see what I mean.

kwd, please don't take this so personally. 99.9% of the replies are positive in that they are letting you know that while the gold may be gold, most of the coins if not all are unlikely to be authentic.

All we are trying to do is help you. Knowledge is power. If you cannot or do not want to understand that then that is your choice.

Based upon the research and views posted so far I personally would not spend any money to send the coins for grading. Not to mention the cost of the grading.

Please do not remove the post. Many have read it and many will read it. All will learn from it.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think kwd has every right to be a bit snippy and defensive - But someone who thinks pennies are made out of nickel hardly has the right to cast doubts on the coin knowledge of others.

A

art of fact

Again,Im sorry if I offended anyone I was merely trying to help figure out how the purse got there,Now that you have established the possibility that it wasnt planted there and taking in account the (opinions) of the other tnetters you can move on to other possibilities,I have no way of knowing how much money anyone has there and a I stated in my post I dont think there intentions would have been bad,Besides those coin dont cost much,(again)nice (finds)all the same.

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm a total novice here and rarely post anything (because all that my ace 250 finds is junk lol), so I hesitate to jump in to a post like this ---but---

If the people on here respectfully express their opinions about your finds, you should not get upset or defensive...evaluate what everyone has said and disregard what you don't agree with. If it was me, and these coins were the real deal (especially the 5$ gold) I would go get it/them authenticated and then post again with the proof. I'm sure if you do this, most of the incredulous people on here would heartily congratulate you, and probably nominate this find for the banner.

In any case, that find is way cooler than digging pop tops, modern coins and pounds of junk like I do. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
Well you called them copper as seen in the reply you made so you are wrong also. Here is you quote

My suspicion is the copper. I have found old coin purses myself with copper and, far from protecting the contents, the material & chemicals used to make the purse tend to leach out, and attack any coins within.

The eagles and Indian heads from 1860 to 1864 were .880 copper and .120 nickel they were referred as nickel or nicks latter called white cents.1864 to1909 they were called bronze .950 copper .050 tin and zinc. They were .950 copper .050 tin and zinc in wheat’s 1909 to 1958 and so on. That was taken from the 2009 red book.

Xraywolf said:
I think kwd has every right to be a bit snippy and defensive - But someone who thinks pennies are made out of nickel hardly has the right to cast doubts on the coin knowledge of others.

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
i plan to as soon as i can save some money.also if you read up i did take them to a coin dealer.

Ryan6060 said:
I'm a total novice here and rarely post anything (because all that my ace 250 finds is junk lol), so I hesitate to jump in to a post like this ---but---

If the people on here respectfully express their opinions about your finds, you should not get upset or defensive...evaluate what everyone has said and disregard what you don't agree with. If it was me, and these coins were the real deal (especially the 5$ gold) I would go get it/them authenticated and then post again with the proof. I'm sure if you do this, most of the incredulous people on here would heartily congratulate you, and probably nominate this find for the banner.

In any case, that find is way cooler than digging pop tops, modern coins and pounds of junk like I do. :thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
Well you called them copper as seen in the reply you made so you are wrong also. Here is you quote

My suspicion is the copper. I have found old coin purses myself with copper and, far from protecting the contents, the material & chemicals used to make the purse tend to leach out, and attack any coins within.

The eagles and Indian heads from 1860 to 1864 were .880 copper and .120 nickel they were referred as nickel or nicks latter called white cents.1864 to1909 they were called bronze .950 copper .050 tin and zinc. They were .950 copper .050 tin and zinc in wheat’s 1909 to 1958 and so on. That was taken from the 2009 red book.

Xraywolf said:

You have now just proved to me that you can do the research, so now I ask you why you didn't research your finds before posting? (response please?) You said you were worried about posting but you were encouraged to post? Why when you have a good find? I need no encouragement!

Your now making things worse by attacking other members (by calling them wrong, kettle & black springs to mind), specially when you got upset when it happened to you. You have no excuse, because you know what it feels like. I was on your side until now.......

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
i was just replying to their posts,as for doing research if you look up a few i posted that i took the coins to a coin dealer and what he said,the only other research i can do is send them in.the reason i did not want to post before is there are always some that call them fake or planted and i do not care for the put down.i have been detecting since the late 60's the Oregon Trail runs just 4 miles south of here and about 25 miles from here is this http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/republican_pawnee_village.htm there are a lot of 1800 towns all around here.so i am no newbee
kim

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kwdstalker said:
i was just replying to their posts,as for doing research if you look up a few i posted that i took the coins to a coin dealer and what he said,the only other research i can do is send them in.the reason i did not want to post before is there are always some that call them fake or planted and i do not care for the put down.i have been detecting since the late 60's the Oregon Trail runs just 4 miles south of here and about 25 miles from here is this http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/republican_pawnee_village.htm there are a lot of 1800 towns all around here.so i am no newbee
kim

I'm not suggesting your a newbie. I'm just struggling to want to enjoy your find with you whilst sharing some concerns, which clearly are not just mine.

I think your best bet, as someoone struggling to help you, is to grade the best of the bunch. ie. the one you just close up pictured. That way, if, it's not real then you will not waste money on the others that are more questionable. See where I'm going...

The more you fight, the more people will find reason to fault. You have no need to defend yourself, correct?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread