gold coin and more

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
no it is the same ring. the pendent and ring are silver and were tarnished bad i cleaned them and coins all with a heater ultra sonic cleaner with dish soap most of a day then the ring and pendent i used mothers wheel cleaning cream on

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Material from the case most likely caused the tarnish on the silver.

kwdstalker said:
no it is the same ring. the pendent and ring are silver and were tarnished bad i cleaned them and coins all with a heater ultra sonic cleaner with dish soap most of a day then the ring and pendent i used mothers wheel cleaning cream on

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kwdstalker said:
just for your info the indain and egale pennies are nickel not copper look it up in the red book if you do not beleive me.also look at the top of the page there is one called real/fake? http://forum.treasurenet.com/authenticity

They are most certainly not nickel, 88% copper & 12% nickel was the formula for pennies in those days - And if they were, nickel is even worse than copper in this regards.

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Wow! Your metal detecting hobby is a success, even if you never find anything else. This is an amazing find! You caught a big one on that fishin' trip!!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I'm near speechless on this one.

The CA Gold is no question a modern replica and the early jewelry theory can be can be taken off the table because the imperfections of the coin in this thread match a random one I found for sale. (and it didn't take long)

You should post better pics. On the $5 gold don't you think the S mintmark is too high? ...and the date is a mess compared to the real deal? I'm no pro coin dealer or anything like that, but do you have to be? The picture is blurry but doesn't appear the date is lined up even across the top. (The top of the 8s look well above the 1 & 7)

I've taken you at your word as being serious about your find, so I have given you a serious reply.

Attachments

• 469d.JPG
    469d.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,440
  • 469c.JPG
    469c.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 1,443

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
...........I think that some forget that people still bury Cache's.......especially kids and I know of some deceased TH'ers who have Cached several of their really good finds........a modern Cache from a Coin Collector/TH'er is what this really looks like...........also counterfeiting has been going on.......for a long time.........They may have been found by a TH'er or even a Coin Collector and reburied .....also the key may not represent a Treasure Chest but may be more simplistic like just a treasured keepsake..................BUT BOTTOM LINE..............Sometime we need to give our friends some slack.........or the benefit of the doubt.........CAUSE I CONSIDER ALL ON THIS FORUM TO BE OUR FRIENDS.....................HH..........Joe

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Joe(TX) said:
...........I think that some forget that people still bury Cache's.......especially kids and I know of some deceased TH'ers who have Cached several of their really good finds........a modern Cache from a Coin Collector/TH'er is what this really looks like...........also counterfeiting has been going on.......for a long time.........They may have been found by a TH'er or even a Coin Collector and reburied .....also the key may not represent a Treasure Chest but may be more simplistic like just a treasured keepsake..................BUT BOTTOM LINE..............Sometime we need to give our friends some slack.........or the benefit of the doubt.........CAUSE I CONSIDER ALL ON THIS FORUM TO BE OUR FRIENDS.....................HH..........Joe

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Sorry Buck,

I didn't mean for what I said to come out the way it did. I read my post again, and must apologize. I was concerned about you and some others telling the poster that his finds were fakes, and in one post, that the items were "planted". I'm sure you agree with me that those types of comments aren't called for. Not every find deserves the generic "way to go", and I understand that. I also wasn't arguing with you that the coins are in fact all real. I have no idea, and from looking at them again, I can see your skepticism. My last point is that with all of the negative feedback this guy got from his thread, it looks like some have soured someone who might have provided many more finds for us all to drool over. Again, I'm sorry.

John

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
must be the soil you have where ever you are from coins here most of the time are in good shape except for the Zink ones.i have found of 40 wheat’s in the last few years and all but 5 or 6 are in good shape. As for these the purse was found on the side of an incline in what is pasture 10 feet from the house
Xraywolf said:
kwdstalker said:
just for your info the indain and egale pennies are nickel not copper look it up in the red book if you do not beleive me.also look at the top of the page there is one called real/fake? http://forum.treasurenet.com/authenticity

They are most certainly not nickel, 88% copper & 12% nickel was the formula for pennies in those days - And if they were, nickel is even worse than copper in this regards.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
Sorry Buck,

I didn't mean for what I said to come out the way it did. I read my post again, and must apologize. I was concerned about you and some others telling the poster that his finds were fakes, and in one post, that the items were "planted". I'm sure you agree with me that those types of comments aren't called for. Not every find deserves the generic "way to go", and I understand that. I also wasn't arguing with you that the coins are in fact all real. I have no idea, and from looking at them again, I can see your skepticism. My last point is that with all of the negative feedback this guy got from his thread, it looks like some have soured someone who might have provided many more finds for us all to drool over. Again, I'm sorry.

John

John, I thought better of my reply to you, so I deleted it. But trust me, I am still drooling over the $5 gold, regardless of how it got there with those other unusual items.

-BB

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
As for these the purse
put it down in the what is it. It is a case for some thing else that was used as a purse. from the end on it it most likely was on a pull chain that hooked to the belt. It seems to have broke at that point. Maybe some one will recognize it.

As for all you folks out here going over how much damage with time: that ring is modern like in the last 20 years or so, as is the case most likely. The item was were some one stored and kept what they thought was valuable in it and with them. Personal objects and items of value they had got, or found.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
blurr said:
Sorry Buck,

John

But trust me, I am still drooling over the $5 gold, regardless of how it got there with those other unusual items.

-BB

I'm not and if you were to look close enough you probably wouldn't either. That's unless the SF mint had the same type quality control as a company that makes replica coins.

Please post some good close-ups of this coin to prove my thoughts wrong.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
blurr said:
Sorry Buck,

John

But trust me, I am still drooling over the $5 gold, regardless of how it got there with those other unusual items.

-BB

I'm not and if you were to look close enough you probably wouldn't either. That's unless the SF mint had the same type quality control as a company that makes replica coins.

You have fun with that.

John

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
Iron Patch said:
BuckleBoy said:
blurr said:
Sorry Buck,

John

-BB

You have fun with that.

John

Please make yourself clear if you're going to reply to me. I tend to be one step behind most people's thinking on here. (meaning I don't get it)

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
I have to say I had the same immediate reaction as Buckles and IronPatch. The CA gold coin looks immediately suspect, and a quick bit of research online will show that it is a replica. That caused me to look at the other coins in context, and its easy to track down the Mexican coin as a fake token as well. Given that, and the presence of other trinkets then led me to believe that all of the "coins" were just replicas and this was some kid's treasure purse of trinkets. The only coin that looks generally real is the 1887 $5 gold coin...but it seems unlikely to be real if the others are all replicas. It just bugged me. Then I saw IronPatch's photos of a real 1887 gold piece and now I doubt that it is real either.

I took the image and imported it into Photoshop, and then imported the image IronPatch posted. I set up the two as layers and then rescaled the purse coin to make it the same size as the real coin. Doing so and then blinking the layers, you can see that there are a lot of differences: The crown with Liberty in it is lower at the front on the found coin; the date doesn't quite line up right (as IronPatch noted); the curls in the hair are not identical, especially on the neck; the front of the neck/bustline does not match; the nose and mouth are different. It's all subtle, and it takes a sharp eye to notice it. Great catch, IronPatch!

Take a look at the animated GIF file to see what I mean.

http://www.pbase.com/jhapeman/image/115853386/coin.gif

My conclusion is that this is a kid's purse of trinkets. Now, does that mean that the gold coins are not gold? No. Many of the CA gold token replicas are actually gold, and 22K is a common composition for them. Again, research online will show this. They were frequently sold by jewelers in the 60's and 70's as souvenirs, and you can still find them all over eBay. It's possible the $5 gold coin is also gold, and the Mexican tokens are probably low-karat gold as well. It's just that it seems very unlikely that any of these coins are authentic at this point--and frankly it makes sense when you look at the collection as a whole. I would guess that a professional grading service will be able to easily validate whether that $5 is authentic or not.

It's still a great find, and I would be delighted to find it personally.

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree with Iron Patch. Here are the two coins for comparison.

habs

Attachments

• real.JPG
    real.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 1,287
  • bogu5a.jpg
    bogu5a.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 1,301

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alnitak said:
I have to say I had the same immediate reaction as Buckles and IronPatch. The CA gold coin looks immediately suspect, and a quick bit of research online will show that it is a replica. That caused me to look at the other coins in context, and its easy to track down the Mexican coin as a fake token as well. Given that, and the presence of other trinkets then led me to believe that all of the "coins" were just replicas and this was some kid's treasure purse of trinkets. The only coin that looks generally real is the 1887 $5 gold coin...but it seems unlikely to be real if the others are all replicas. It just bugged me. Then I saw IronPatch's photos of a real 1887 gold piece and now I doubt that it is real either.

I took the image and imported it into Photoshop, and then imported the image IronPatch posted. I set up the two as layers and then rescaled the purse coin to make it the same size as the real coin. Doing so and then blinking the layers, you can see that there are a lot of differences: The crown with Liberty in it is lower at the front on the found coin; the date doesn't quite line up right (as IronPatch noted); the curls in the hair are not identical, especially on the neck; the front of the neck/bustline does not match; the nose and mouth are different. It's all subtle, and it takes a sharp eye to notice it. Great catch, IronPatch!

Take a look at the animated GIF file to see what I mean.

http://www.pbase.com/jhapeman/image/115853386/coin.gif

My conclusion is that this is a kid's purse of trinkets. Now, does that mean that the gold coins are not gold? No. Many of the CA gold token replicas are actually gold, and 22K is a common composition for them. Again, research online will show this. They were frequently sold by jewelers in the 60's and 70's as souvenirs, and you can still find them all over eBay. It's possible the $5 gold coin is also gold, and the Mexican tokens are probably low-karat gold as well. It's just that it seems very unlikely that any of these coins are authentic at this point--and frankly it makes sense when you look at the collection as a whole. I would guess that a professional grading service will be able to easily validate whether that $5 is authentic or not.

It's still a great find, and I would be delighted to find it personally.

I think that's pretty much on the money. I have no idea of the context of the find not being there, but once they make it to the "big screen" (The T-net) ;D we should be able to post our opinion. (which should be appreciated, I know I want all the comments I can get on a find whether they're good or bad. I prefer knowing the truth)

The only thing that probably should be clarified from your post is the CA gold being plated 22k, and not solid like a coin. If they were actually 22k through and through they would be getting more than $10-$20 on Ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread