Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Well, the title is not entirely accurate, as the video will show. That genetic abnormality that I happen to call my hunting buddy buried a fake gold coin in a sugar cane row up ahead of me and I dug it. Crazy thing is, it was the right date range as the trash pit we were in, and totally had me fooled... That jerk. :icon_jokercolor:

Anyhow, he did screw over his karma and didn't dig anything much the rest of the day. :laughing7:

I managed to nab four coins, including two Philly mint silvers--which is unusual here. Usually we dig O-mintmark silver coins.

First coin was an 1873 Indian. Saw it sticking half out of the dirt, and could see 187_ and was praying for a '77. Wasn't meant to be, but I have never dug an 1873 before, so that was nice to fill up a hole in the collection. Second coin was a 1910 V Nickel. Then I dug in the same row an 1876 Seated Dime--and a nice one at that. :headbang: I did dig a couple flat buttons and one three-hole button that is much earlier than I supposed. The company is actually in the 1837-38 New York City business directory, listed as "clothiers." I had no idea that these 3-hole buttons were that old.

HPIM5087.JPG

After the fake gold coin scare, we went to another site and got out on the fringe areas. I dug another flat button, eyeballed a clay marble, then walked up on a nice Federal Era pocket watch winder. These must have been common in this area, because my buddy dug an identical one at our colonial tavern site a couple years ago.

HPIM5068.JPG HPIM5069.JPG

I then got a nice target that locked in at 60 on the F75. I strongly felt that it'd be a half real, so I dug carefully and a small silver came out of the hole. I first thought Seated, but on closer examination it was a Capped Bust half dime! This is only my third Capped in 23 years, and it is the nicest one I've dug. My first was a well worn half dime a couple years ago, then year before last I dug a Capped dime. So naturally I'm thrilled to have dug another one--and especially one this nice.
HPIM5070.JPG HPIM5071.JPG

HPIM5079.JPG HPIM5077.JPG HPIM5078.JPG

HPIM5083.JPG HPIM5084.JPG

HPIM5075.JPG HPIM5076.JPG

HPIM5085.JPG

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

-Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 25

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More nice find's, BB! I did the same thing with the fake gold to my hunting buddy a couple year's ago..........:laughing7:

Iowa Dale

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All your finds were great! I'd be happy with any of them. Loved seeing the half dime, good shape too.
And, ... you did keep the gold ... right ?
Finders Keepers

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The real payback is for you to dig a gold coin in front of him someday.:occasion14:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too funny!!!!! That's my kind of humor. Well done Shangalang!!! :occasion14:
Great hunt Will. Nothing like reeded, seated, and imbreeded (Shang) on a hunt. :tongue3:
Congrats on the Cap Bust and the cool looking winder.
Great post,
DUHg (Quindy's Yankee son)

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB....I had someone subscribe me to Victoria's Secret Free Panty of the Month. You should see the looks I get from the mailman. Let me tell you this: when I ordered my Vibraprobe pinpointer, I was praying the company name was not going to be on the outside of the package, because I am sure he would have refused to deliver my mail!

Shane, I apologise if Buck gets any ideas from this[emoji1]

HILARIOUS Dave!!!! :tongue3: It's o.k. if you wear those V.S. panties. They are actually pretty comfortable. I wear mine so tight it keeps the ticks out. :laughing7:
You're a nut!

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great finds!! A joke is good once in a while! :laughing7:

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You dug some sweet coins.The Capped Bust Half Dime is killer!!!

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
I enjoyed the video and congrats on the silver coins. Too bad about the gold coin. Maybe a payback in the future. LOL

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fun hunt when you are eye balling nice finds on top of the ground. That winder is a dandy. I do not get to say this often because of the rules but that one particular find looks fake to me! haha I feel so much better already.. Thanks for that Shane!!
You guys had a fun day. Going to be a good year!
HH

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BB....I had someone subscribe me to Victoria's Secret Free Panty of the Month. You should see the looks I get from the mailman. Let me tell you this: when I ordered my Vibraprobe pinpointer, I was praying the company name was not going to be on the outside of the package, because I am sure he would have refused to deliver my mail!

Shane, I apologise if Buck gets any ideas from this[emoji1]

Hahaha, now that right there is funny!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm voting BANNER on the gold coin! I'm surprised it's not up there already as gold coins are a lock for banner :dontknow:

Seriously, very nice hunt. Love the silver 5 cent and the watch winder. The 1873 Indian head and the 1876 seated dime are also nice coin finds although I expect a seated from you every time out :laughing7:

You know, up in KY and IN when I dug a Seated coin there was a happy dance and much beer afterward. Here, a Seated just seems to be the norm. It's the special relics that we get excited about. And lately, a Spanish silver is worth a celebration, since we seem to be hunting slightly newer sites than we did two years ago. It's a shame that the Seateds don't cause the celebration that they used to. Sometimes I feel pretty desensitized.... :(

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always a nice array of saves, Buck! Love it!

If anyone does that trick to me, I'm gonna fall over and "die". They're gonna have to call an ambulance for me and I'm gonna talk to the first "ambulance chasing lawyer" I come in contact with and sue EVERY one of those sons! I will OWN their ENTIRE collection!! ( ;) ) So, OD? OBN? Cjon? MsBeep? Vino? Treb? Be forewarned!! LOL

Oh yeah, and Buck? I found a little trick for videos that works pretty well. If you take a piece of foam rubber. Like the kind they use on professional microphones. Even a tiny piece across a cel phone's "mic" hole will work. It will almost completely cut out that background wind noise that gets in the way.
Just a thought.

Thanks for sharing!

That's a great idea about a wind shield for the microphone! Thanks, friend!

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's dirty:laughing7:I thought about doing it to my uncle one time, but I didn't have the heart to do it.He probably would have just walked right by it anyway:).After finding that capped bust,if there was any hard feelings,i bet they flew out the window."Nice".congrats on all the nice coins and digs!

Thanks for the reply, and I also wanted to say that it's nice to see another person who loves the old Fisher machines. My 1266-X was my first detector, and I have a lot of great memories and much love for that machine.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silver and cool watch winder! Your pipe top thingies look exact the same like the ones found here. Great hunt again!

Is THAT what that is? I don't think I've ever identified those things. I have dug 2-3 of them over the years. Thought they might be salt shaker lids, etc. Do you have a link that might show one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread