Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

Well, the title is not entirely accurate, as the video will show. That genetic abnormality that I happen to call my hunting buddy buried a fake gold coin in a sugar cane row up ahead of me and I dug it. Crazy thing is, it was the right date range as the trash pit we were in, and totally had me fooled... That jerk. :icon_jokercolor:

Anyhow, he did screw over his karma and didn't dig anything much the rest of the day. :laughing7:

I managed to nab four coins, including two Philly mint silvers--which is unusual here. Usually we dig O-mintmark silver coins.

First coin was an 1873 Indian. Saw it sticking half out of the dirt, and could see 187_ and was praying for a '77. Wasn't meant to be, but I have never dug an 1873 before, so that was nice to fill up a hole in the collection. Second coin was a 1910 V Nickel. Then I dug in the same row an 1876 Seated Dime--and a nice one at that. :headbang: I did dig a couple flat buttons and one three-hole button that is much earlier than I supposed. The company is actually in the 1837-38 New York City business directory, listed as "clothiers." I had no idea that these 3-hole buttons were that old.

HPIM5087.JPG

After the fake gold coin scare, we went to another site and got out on the fringe areas. I dug another flat button, eyeballed a clay marble, then walked up on a nice Federal Era pocket watch winder. These must have been common in this area, because my buddy dug an identical one at our colonial tavern site a couple years ago.

HPIM5068.JPG HPIM5069.JPG

I then got a nice target that locked in at 60 on the F75. I strongly felt that it'd be a half real, so I dug carefully and a small silver came out of the hole. I first thought Seated, but on closer examination it was a Capped Bust half dime! This is only my third Capped in 23 years, and it is the nicest one I've dug. My first was a well worn half dime a couple years ago, then year before last I dug a Capped dime. So naturally I'm thrilled to have dug another one--and especially one this nice.
HPIM5070.JPG HPIM5071.JPG

HPIM5079.JPG HPIM5077.JPG HPIM5078.JPG

HPIM5083.JPG HPIM5084.JPG

HPIM5075.JPG HPIM5076.JPG

HPIM5085.JPG

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!

-Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 25
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All your finds were great! I'd be happy with any of them. Loved seeing the half dime, good shape too.
And, ... you did keep the gold ... right ?
Finders Keepers

No, unfortunately I threw it at him and he put it in his pocket...which means I'll probably be digging it up a second time five years from now. ::)

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too funny!!!!! That's my kind of humor. Well done Shangalang!!! :occasion14:
Great hunt Will. Nothing like reeded, seated, and imbreeded (Shang) on a hunt. :tongue3:
Congrats on the Cap Bust and the cool looking winder.
Great post,
DUHg (Quindy's Yankee son)

It's always interesting hunting with the genetic wonder twin.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HILARIOUS Dave!!!! :tongue3: It's o.k. if you wear those V.S. panties. They are actually pretty comfortable. I wear mine so tight it keeps the ticks out. :laughing7:
You're a nut!

And to think that folks made fun of me for laying on a tarp with my diggin buddies in the tick infested woods of Kentucky... :D

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or another fake one !!!

Well, the next high tone that I dig and a gold coin flops out I'm immediately just putting it in my pocket and walking on.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fun hunt when you are eye balling nice finds on top of the ground. That winder is a dandy. I do not get to say this often because of the rules but that one particular find looks fake to me! haha I feel so much better already.. Thanks for that Shane!!
You guys had a fun day. Going to be a good year!
HH

Looked totally real to me...and Shane kept saying "It says copy on it." And I kept saying "what are you talking about? no it doesn't!" LOL I thought he was in disbelief and telling me it couldn't be real...

Nope... he was telling the truth for once. :D

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is THAT what that is? I don't think I've ever identified those things. I have dug 2-3 of them over the years. Thought they might be salt shaker lids, etc. Do you have a link that might show one?

I never found an exact match in the internet. They might be pipe tops or pipe tubes at the connection between the pipe bowl and the base. At least i was told so.
Here is a pic of a couple i found and they match yours perfect. They all have the triangular cut between the slots like yours have.

20984547gw.jpg

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
I never found an exact match in the internet. They might be pipe tops or pipe tubes at the connection between the pipe bowl and the base. At least i was told so.
Here is a pic of a couple i found and they match yours perfect. They all have the triangular cut between the slots like yours have.

20984547gw.jpg

I too have found many of those over the years, I've always thought they were from parasols/ umbrellas with wooden handles ; they were the 19th century equivalent of sunscreen

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have found many of those over the years, I've always thought they were from parasols/ umbrellas with wooden handles ; they were the 19th century equivalent of sunscreen

I think you nailed it. :icon_thumleft: Never thought about parasols because of the sites these parts turned up. A couple of them are found in the woods together with pipe lids in the same area. Part of a parasol mechanic could explain the notch all of them have.

Attachments

• Parasol.jpg
    Parasol.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you nailed it. :icon_thumleft: Never thought about parasols because of the sites these parts turned up. A couple of them are found in the woods together with pipe lids in the same area. Part of a parasol mechanic could explain the notch all of them have.
Y

Yes, these are parasol clips. I thought you were referring to the larger piece with the holes. The parasol clips were mis-identified in several relic books here as "hat ventilators," which it's pretty obvious that they aren't. Here is a patent from 1875 showing the devices in schematic. The iron "ribs" of the parasol connected into each of the slots in the piece.

parasol.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt! Very nice coin recoveries!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread