What's new

Gold colored letter

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2016
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
4,257
Golden Thread
0
Location
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this down in the water. It cleaned up really well. At first I thought it was brass but wanted to do some testing on it. It may be brass but I wanted to run the test results by you all.
Here is the front
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474847886.882960.webp

Here is the back. 3 small nails for attaching that are the same color as the letter
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474847908.728320.webp

Not magnetic

Scratches gold on ceramic plate
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474848168.470940.webp

Scratches gold on test plate
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474848200.589131.webp

Quickly dissolves (smokes) on 14K

Slowly dissolves on 10K but I can still see the lines but not distinctly
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1474848268.311904.webp

What do you think?
Brass or low grade gold?
 
Upvote 12
that's a neat find, I doubt if it's gold by the way it aged in the soil.
 
Hmmm. I don't know, but nice find anyway!
 
Cast brass. IMO
 
I wonder if there is a way to get an age on this. It was found in a river that used to be deep. I am finding item around now exposed large stumps that were submerged in 1905 when dams were constructed. Now that the dams have been removed, these stumps are exposed. I am finding items from the 20s such as bottles and some coins and relics. I can just assume the age by what I am finding.
My wife thinks it came from a boat. Good theory.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom