Gold detecting Washington?

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody find nuggets in Washington? I'd assume Liberty would be the best area, but are there opportunities for that outside of the claims on Baker or Swauk creek near Liberty? Also I read on another forum about someone finding a 1.4 gram nugget near North Bend and a 1/2 oz er near Oroville.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Anybody find nuggets in Washington? I'd assume Liberty would be the best area,
but are there opportunities for that outside of the claims on Baker or Swauk creek near Liberty? Also I read on
another forum about someone finding a 1.4 gram nugget near North Bend and a 1/2 oz er near Oroville.

Liberty area would be a good place to start, but there are numerous claims
along the rivers and creeks.

Do you have a gold detector?

Come Spring I'm planning on hitting as much area as I can here in the
Skagit and Sauk valleys. I'm a greenhorn at nugget shooting (not detecting),
and have yet to bag my first nugget.

OP
OP
OwenT

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have a detector but I'm thinking about getting one. So are the Skagit and Sauk know nuggets producers? I've never even heard of gold coming from there at all actually.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep wondering about this myself. I found a couple copper nuggets in one place and an ingot of some kind that got stolen from me.
But western washington is where I play and swinging a detector in salal or huckleberry or ferns it just dont work. Hung up and bumping all the time and the hills are steep and covered in volcanoclastyic deposits 6" to 8' deep. I bet there are all kinds of nuggets out there in some places, but who can find them?
I found a nice burn in a good area on the google maps. I'll be taking a hike up through there next summer with any luck.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to liberty just after getting my first detector, I was maybe 18? 19? anywho I learned real quick that it aint just open run and play over there when Rob come out yelling at me for detecting on his claim and proceeded to tell me pretty much every drainage over there is all claimed up.
I ain't figured out where would be a good spot since then. I have one creek about 3 feet wide and on a 75 degree slope that I detect, but thats about it.
Liberty area would be a good place to start, but there are numerous claims
along the rivers and creeks.

Do you have a gold detector?

Come Spring I'm planning on hitting as much area as I can here in the
Skagit and Sauk valleys. I'm a greenhorn at nugget shooting (not detecting),
and have yet to bag my first nugget.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have 7 claims in liberty, haven't found anything with the detector yet but keep swinging in hopes for the big one (or small one). Find a lot of old pick tips and chisels though. And of course plenty of pop cans and sardine cans. All fun though.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you google "doodlebug Washington tailings", a number of interesting articles come up that might point to places to detect or to ask permission to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions