Gold Dredging 30 UNDER a Rice Paddy

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Gold Dredging 30' UNDER a Rice Paddy

These guys are diving 30' down in a muddy hole, then sideways under a rice paddy to get a bag of gold bearing gravel.

Pan it out, go down and get another.

I can't imagine how dangerous this is. Props to those brave Philipino gold miners.

----------
From the article:

"Because the paddy was flooded for an ongoing growing season, it meant that the miners were excavating a tunnel straight down through 30+ feet of mucky water, and then drifting (tunneling) along the bedrock at the bottom to fill canvas bags with pay-dirt. The canvas bags were then raised to the surface by others using a rope, where the material was broken up (a lot of clay in the material) and directed through a sluice box to recover the gold.

Each rice paddy diver received his air for breathing underwater through an airline that was connected to a makeshift air compressor which was taken from an automotive air conditioner, powered by a small Honda motor. No hookah regulator was being used by the diver. Hookah regulators do not work very well when you try to use them in muck! I know, because I have attempted it! These rice paddy divers were getting their air down 30+feet in the muck by just placing the end of the airline in their mouth and holding onto it with their teeth! "

http://www.goldgold.com/stories/ricepaddiesPI.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread