What's new

Gold Filled - Figuring out a Value

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
3,283
Reaction score
240
Golden Thread
1
Location
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a ring today that was marked '10K G.F. Dee Bee'. These are the only markings on the ring. Is there anyway to figure out how much gold is in the ring?

I don't usually sell my finds but this one is damaged and ugly. If I can get a few bucks for it I'm going to let it go.
Thanks
NJ
 
Unfortunately gold filled is only about 1 very small step above gold plated. Most will be marked 1/20 G.F. Which would mean that it has to be composed of 1/20 th of what ever alloy the gold is. Hope this helps a little.
 
It will be hard to find a shop that will buy it if any, probably better off putting it in your collection of finds.
 
Thanks guys.

I'll try polishing it up and see how it comes out.

I had a meeting I had to run to last night so just as I was walking out of the house I handed it to my wife. She handed it to my two year old to play with so for all I know it maybe lost again...lol.

NJ
 
These are worthless to a refinery.
 
The refinery we deal with will buy it by the pound and do a fire assay before cutting a check. The check will generally be small.
 
Thanks again for the feedback

It will most likely become part of my daughters 'dress up' jewelery.

NJ
 
according to ARA, they do take gold filled items and assay out whatever gold is in them. They said a typical gold filled pocket watch nets about 7-8 bucks in gold. I have several filled items I am going to send when I send the rest of my hoard.. am curious to see what they bring
 
I have a nice gold filled late 1800s pocket watch case I found a few years ago. It is such a good looking piece I could not imagine having it melted down. If I find many more rings that look like a lawn mower ate it then I may have to send a pile in to see what I get...lol.

NJ
 
N.J.THer said:
I have a nice gold filled late 1800s pocket watch case I found a few years ago. It is such a good looking piece I could not imagine having it melted down. If I find many more rings that look like a lawn mower ate it then I may have to send a pile in to see what I get...lol.

NJ
Look up or Google watch makers or antique restoration shops close to you. A lot of times they'll buy pocket watch cases parts and chrystals for way more then you can get for scrap to replenish their parts drawers.
 
boogeyman said:
N.J.THer said:
I have a nice gold filled late 1800s pocket watch case I found a few years ago. It is such a good looking piece I could not imagine having it melted down. If I find many more rings that look like a lawn mower ate it then I may have to send a pile in to see what I get...lol.

NJ
Look up or Google watch makers or antique restoration shops close to you. A lot of times they'll but pocket watch cases parts and chrystals for way more then you can get for scrap to replenish their parts drawers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom