gold Glittering rock

skooby

May 22, 2011
I have been finding gold flakes in the bottom of my watering barrel. I pull water from the creek via a pump. I have had the acid test done at the jewelers on the gold flakes - no reaction, I have bent the flakes and bent them back the other way - no breakage, I have used a magnet on the flakes - they are not attracted nor repelled, I have done the sandpaper/tile test - gold streaks, not black or green or white. Today I found this rock.... can you help me ID it and the flakes that I am thinking could be gold? Thank you!

Attachments

• Gold flake rock 001.jpg
    Gold flake rock 001.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 12,263
  • Gold flake rock 006.jpg
    Gold flake rock 006.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 24,299

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what state are you in? n.c. cal. az. co. is it mallable? can you take a flake and hammer it? does it stay together and get larger and thinner? if so it may be gold. if it shatters it may be pyrite. or possibly gold toned mica if it bends.

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you tried hammering a flake? does it flatten out thinner and stay together? if it does you could have some gold.

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you may have gotten lucky, i'd gather up as much as i could in case it is. keep your source a secret, have it assayed and don't forget, loose lips sink ships. you may need a rock crusher to extract the gold from the rock then pan it out, good luck.

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Skooby...go to your creek and dig down as deep as possible and pan the material, if you find some black sand in the pan the gold will be under it and show up last. Try to collect a vial of the material, gold will be extremely heavy. Your streak tests seem right on, so perhaps you have found something. What does the rock you have found appear to be made of?

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Skooby...I have all necessary equipment...bring me a bucket of those rocks and I will process them and return to you what is in them. I`m curious.

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skooby, i too have all the equiptment, send me a bunch too, i'll return all of it too,wink, wink,

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Scooby...If you do bring me a sample I will process the material with you and give back all the concentrates. You will see the process and can go on from there on your own, I don`t mean this as a joke. I would just like to see what exactly you`ve found.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions