Gold in an unusual place.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through old stuff to put in a garage sale and came across this golden oldie. My dad had this since the late 50's at the latest, could be earlier. Gift from a supplier to our grocery store I believe. I have seen them selling used for $400. Notice that this one still has the plastic wrap on the cork, the original tag, the original sheepskin lined leather case, and beautiful flawless gold plating. Not a scratch or mark anywhere. I doubt they made many of these. One of the last places I'd expect to find gold, and thought folks might find it of interest.
20220629_163721.jpg
20220629_163745.jpg 20220629_163811.jpg 20220629_163840.jpg 20220629_163847.jpg 20220629_163907.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once picked up at a yard-sale a bamboo fly rod for $5.00 made by Wright & McGill which is now Eagle Claw. It was labeled Water Seal and had an image of a 🦭 on it. I put it on eBay and it sold for over $400. Yours looks pretty special and potentially valuable, being in the wonderful condition it is.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going through old stuff to put in a garage sale and came across this golden oldie. My dad had this since the late 50's at the latest, could be earlier. Gift from a supplier to our grocery store I believe. I have seen them selling used for $400. Notice that this one still has the plastic wrap on the cork, the original tag, the original sheepskin lined leather case, and beautiful flawless gold plating. Not a scratch or mark anywhere. I doubt they made many of these. One of the last places I'd expect to find gold, and thought folks might find it of interest.

It’s a long while since I’ve done any fishing, but that’s a beautiful rod.

I think it’s a little later than your recollection of its family history though. Fibreglass rods first appeared in the 1940s but St. Croix only began switching from bamboo in 1955. They had a major relaunch of new models in 1959 but the particular range that included the features of your model seemingly didn’t appear until 1963 according to the St. Croix website:

1963 Micro-Cell Foam-Filled Tubular Fiberglass: Readily recognizable by the 14K gold-plated guides, it was what was inside St. Croix Magna-Flex spinning, spin/cast and fly rods that truly set them apart. Filled with a urethane foam, flex strength was increased by more than 25% while impact resistance experienced at least a 50% gain, with little increase in weight. Each rod was packaged in a padded, steel rod-reinforced case for just $50.00.

I would think ~$300 would be a fair price for it now, even in that lovely condition, but could well exceed that on Fleabay if someone takes a fancy to it.

OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for looking and the comments. Has both a bait casting and fly casting handles. Definitely not a garage sale item. Auction or Craig's List maybe. Has no special meaning to me. Unlike this item, which was his first rifle. I take it with me to the range once in a while. Still a tack driver. Perfect backpack, small game rifle. Will probably go to great grandson one day.
Rifle 01.png
Rifle 02.png
Rifle 03.png
Rifle 04.png

OP
OP
S

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handles are for spin casting or spinning reels,could easily be used for bait casting too,but not for fly fishing Great combo travel rod!
I believe you are absolutely right. I think I must have been blinded by all that bling when I open the case. I should have known from my own Orvis travel rod. Fly rods end almost at the seat. Fortunately I didn't discover that by assembling them. Still flawless. Thanks for pointing that out. Would be a little embarrassing if I'd put that in a for sale ad.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe you are absolutely right. I think I must have been blinded by all that bling when I open the case. I should have known from my own Orvis travel rod. Fly rods end almost at the seat. Fortunately I didn't discover that by assembling them. Still flawless. Thanks for pointing that out. Would be a little embarrassing if I'd put that in a for sale ad.
No biggie,I,ve fly fished for a long time,only reason I caught it!:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread