What's new

🥇 BANNER Gold Miner’s Starter Kit

Hendo0601

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
257
Reaction score
457
Golden Thread
1
Location
California
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in and detect mostly in El Dorado County, California in search of early Gold Rush camps and settlements. The other day I was detecting a new area down on a creek and it was clear that no other detectorists had ever been there before me, great success!! Period 1850s targets began coming out of the ground and then I got a MONSTROUS overload signal on my CTX...I figured it was a cast iron stove door or something similar. I dug down and about 8” down I began unearthing a sluice rake, and next to it was an upside-down gold pan! Those who detect in the mother lode know how hard it is to find an intact gold pan as they are extremely brittle and disintegrate in the ground. I got these out of the hole and underneath the gold pan was ANOTHER gold pan! Two intact gold pans in one hole doesn’t happen...it just doesn’t...but there was still more. Underneath the gold pans were three intact pick heads, a sledge hammer, and two axe heads. In the same hole next to the gold pans was two intact period shovels, and underneath those was what I thought was another gold pan, but it turned out to be an upside-down long handled skillet. Underneath the skillet was two intact 3 prong forks and two spreader knives....and yet there was still more! Beneath the silverware was a small cooking pot with lid, a coffee pot with lid (sadly destroyed during the trip home), a broken pewter or Britannia metal spoon, 2 metal dinner plates, a fully intact JW Hunnewell condiment bottle, and the extremely brittle remains of what I can only assume was a rubberized tarp or tent material all folded up at the bottom of the hole. It took several hours to dig it all and 2 trips (2.4 miles each way) to carry it all out. It is literally a gold miner’s starter kit all in one hole! Truly one of the most epic finds of my life and I will never forget what it was like unearthing all of this at once!
Total contents of the cache:
1 sluice rake
2 gold pans
3 picks
2 shovels
2 axes
1 sledge hammer
2 forks
2 spreaders
1 spoon
1 skillet
1 small cooking pot with lid
1 coffee pot with lid (Destroyed)
2 metal plates
1 JW Hunnewell condiment bottle
1 folded up tarp/tent (destroyed)
EABE12BE-6FB4-483F-B3E2-24E27B60300E.webp3FAB0004-B8DF-430E-A99B-6F3C633286C9.webpD766D5B8-BF9E-4D52-9F99-62EB9758F4F0.webp6F52A4E3-CB67-4A44-895A-1F19A5DDA644.webpBBFCC53B-FCF1-4E28-B709-944FFFD11A8D.webp5BA5B66B-D8F6-4299-A786-8BB956D4AC5B.webp
 

Attachments

  • B9BFCD70-1B2F-4773-B0F3-62C1F2C958F3.webp
    B9BFCD70-1B2F-4773-B0F3-62C1F2C958F3.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 28,074
Now THAT is a piece(s) of history!
 
That's a pretty cool time capsule!
 
epic. great finds and thanks for posting
 
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 
That’s cool! You could write a story around that cache. Who knows, the miner might have hit a gold streak and buried everything till he could return with more equipment....endless possibilities.
 
wow that's crazy
 
That is a really cool find!! You've dug up the kitchen now all you need is the sink!!!
 
GREAT find! Very interesting bit of history there! You know what, that is cool enough for the Banner. My vote is in.
 
Quite an amazing and historical find. May never be another cache like this found!
 
Now that was a cool stash you found. Makes you wonder why he never returned.
 
I'm jealous. Always wanted to find a really old gold pan.

Very cool!
 
I was wondering the exact same thing. This stuff was deliberately stacked this way and buried, it wasn’t accidentally or haphazardly just tossed in a pile. It was also buried deep, about a foot and a half or so maybe deeper; whereas most of the relics I recover from gold rush sites are usually less than 4 inches deep. I think that it was cached there with intent to return when the weather got more favorable or maybe they took ill and buried their gear and went to the nearest town to recover and didn’t...I don’t believe it’s an “I quit” pile or anything like that, if you quit or give up you’re not going to take the time to bury your costly equipment you’re going to sell it to try and recover some of your expenses, or you’ll just throw it on the ground and leave. It’s definitely a head scratcher lol
 
I'm jealous. Always wanted to find a really old gold pan.

Very cool!

Very very very few have ever been recovered metal detecting, let alone two in the same hole. They are typically made of crappy tin and they just don’t survive in the acidic soil out here
 
GREAT find! Very interesting bit of history there! You know what, that is cool enough for the Banner. My vote is in.

Thank you 🙏 my back still hurts from carrying all this stuff home haha!
 
"In a cavern, in a canyon
Excavating for a mine
Dwelt a miner forty-niner
And his daughter, Clementine." Gary
 
Although it's a hoard of rust, it's a pretty cool one. Would make a nice display in a local mining related Museum!
 
...if someone was panning gold nearby...was he on to something?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom