What's new

Gold Necklace w/ Wierd Marks

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Y'all, Below are 2 pics of a gold necklace with marks I've never seen. On the open clasp end, it looks like O.T. or O.1, and some ways it looks like O. and a cross. On the lobster claw portion, it looks like the mark has been hammered out. Any ideas on these wierd markings? As always, thanks in advance, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • GoldNecklaceMark.webp
    GoldNecklaceMark.webp
    46 KB · Views: 342
  • GoldNecklaceMarkRemoved.webp
    GoldNecklaceMarkRemoved.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 332
It Almost looks like O V R to us here Maybe it the pic??? Great find there!!! HH chug and red

red is looking up the marks hopfully she will find something she is getting really good at it!!!
 
Upvote 0
Chug said:
It Almost looks like O V R to us here Maybe it the pic??? Great find there!!! HH chug and red

red is looking up the marks hopfully she will find something she is getting really good at it!!!

Thanks Chug & Red. I wish I could have posted a better pic, but the mark is so tiny. It could be O V R. Tell Red I'm rooting for her! Breezie
 
Upvote 0
This is an old trick but a easy one use a candle with a smokey flame, let the soot coat the markings then use small piece of paper to get a better imprint of the marks!! we have used this trick a few times!!!! make sure the items heated cool a little don't burn your self!!!

A lighter will work also!!!
 
Upvote 0
Chug said:
This is an old trick but a easy one use a candle with a smokey flame, let the soot coat the markings then use small piece of paper to get a better imprint of the marks!! we have used this trick a few times!!!! make sure the items heated cool a little don't burn your self!!!

A lighter will work also!!!

Cool trick on using the soot to read it. I'll keep that one in my memory bank. I did manage to get another shot of it, this time I flipped it around. Do you think it stands for 10K, and they only embossed the 10? :dontknow:

It has 2 other marking that have been hammered out. I'm wondering since the color is on the reddish gold side, if someone was trying to pawn it off as 18K, and destroyed 2 of the marks, and forgot this one. :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • GoldNecklace10.webp
    GoldNecklace10.webp
    5 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
Breezie said:
Chug said:
This is an old trick but a easy one use a candle with a smokey flame, let the soot coat the markings then use small piece of paper to get a better imprint of the marks!! we have used this trick a few times!!!! make sure the items heated cool a little don't burn your self!!!

A lighter will work also!!!

Cool trick on using the soot to read it. I'll keep that one in my memory bank. I did manage to get another shot of it, this time I flipped it around. Do you think it stands for 10K, and they only embossed the 10? :dontknow:

It has 2 other marking that have been hammered out. I'm wondering since the color is on the reddish gold side, if someone was trying to pawn it off as 18K, and destroyed 2 of the marks, and forgot this one. :dontknow:


Hi Breezie! Red here, I'm still working on identifying those marks, the letters look like O. and then a T or cross and another dot. It looks like it could be 10 carat gold, a man's chain? It's an awesome find, it may take me a few days, so hopefully sooner then later, I will find out who made it!!!! Glad you tried Chugs idea. Do you have a loop?
 
Upvote 0
It's O. l. in my opinion.(O & L) makers marks are usually the ones inside the rectangle mark.
Dano.
 
Upvote 0
played with the pic a little sure looks like O.I., chug
 

Attachments

  • GoldNecklaceMark.webp
    GoldNecklaceMark.webp
    1.8 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0
Thanks Chug & Dano for the post and help. I took the necklace to a jeweler today, and he said it was marked 14K, which was in one of the areas that looked hammered. He said, like Dano said, the I.O. was the maker's mark, but he didn't know what/who. I'm not sure if I should GREEN check or not, since we haven't ID the maker, but at least we know it's 14K. We need a half green check; LOL Breezie
 
Upvote 0
To me it looks like an O with a Q-like squigly about 2 oclock. The next symbol looks like a K shape with a crown on top.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom