Gold Officers Bar, Gun Barel, & History Lesson on Tenn. Trio Hunt Today!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gold Officer's Bar, Gun Barrel, & History Lesson on Tenn. Trio Hunt Today!

The Tennessee Trio was minus one member today as Doug had a business meeting. Josh & I carried the flag for the Trio and went to a site that has CS & US Civil War relics and WW2 maneuver relics. We had to make the best out of a 3 hour max. hunt. My first CW relic was a pistol ball as we headed into the woods. Josh called me on my cell as we were in thick woods and he sounded excited. I heard the word “gold bar” and started to his location. He dug the officer’s insignias in the first pic. I dug more 30-06 blank cartridges in the same area. I only keep the good ones and the fired blanks that I brought home had “42” on them for 1942 when the cartridges were loaded. Several different companies loaded them for the government.
Josh recovered a gun barrel today and any info. will be appreciated. It has a thick walled 23.5 in. barrel, 2 notches in the breech end and a lug. You could see where there was a sight on the end opposite the breech and the attachment lug was 180 deg. opposite on the breech end. A .58 cal. Minnie would almost fit into the bore. We really don’t believe it is CW but Morgan’s Troops modified weapons brought from home. I’m not aware of a WW2 weapon like that. The barrel looked as if it was intentionally bent.
WW2 maneuvers were conducted by the U.S. Army during the early part of the war in our part of middle Tennessee. Our counties were selected as the topography closely resembled what green troops would encounter in Europe. In fact, Gen. Patton commanded maneuvers here. The last pic is a display of the full clips and a marksmanship medal that I put today to show school kids. Not too much but Josh had some interesting finds today. HH from the Trio, Quindy.

Attachments

• Josh's Bars.jpg
    Josh's Bars.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCN0401 (356x640).jpg
    DSCN0401 (356x640).jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCN0399 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN0399 (640x480).jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCN0402 (640x479).jpg
    DSCN0402 (640x479).jpg
    98 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
Upvote 7
Awesome finds!! I don't think the marksmanship is to old I just graduated basic a few months ago and I have an marksman badge with the m4 carbine same as that but without the bottom part that says carbine. HH!!

Wow nice finds:thumbsup:

Quindy.... I enjoyed it as always. The insignia that josh found, in my opinion, are 2 different lieutenant bars. I'm pretty sure they are not Warrant officer's bars. A World war 2 warrant officer's insignia has a single bar with a small squire in the center for a plain warrant officer. A chief warrant officer had 2 small squires all the way up to a chief warrant officer (W-4) with 4 squires and a master had a solid horizontal bar within a bar. I can't tell to much about the gun barrel only that it is nice and I would be interested to know what you find out about it. Good finds guys! Tennessee digger

Hi Quindy , That's unusual :) not used to the trio diggin' WW II stuff at your place . Any military finds from that era are nice digs .

That old gun barrel is an interesting find . Nice hunt

CMDdawg
:skullflag:

Awesome finds!! I don't think the marksmanship is to old I just graduated basic a few months ago and I have an marksman badge with the m4 carbine same as that but without the bottom part that says carbine. HH!!
JC, I dug that marksmanship sterling badge at an old home site where the house has been gone for many years. . I also dug the ladder medal that had "pistol" on it. Dman actually dug a dog tag there and turned it over to the VFW. I don't think the badges have changed much over the years. I have little knowledge of these badges. Thanks for looking, Q.

Fun hunt fellas when you have over lapping military history like that. We dig 6th calvary along with civil war stuff in Fort Oglethorpe. I used to get a lot of those strip clips in 30-06. Wonder what that barrel went to? Is it rifled or Damascus? Enjoyed the hunt!

Quindy.... I enjoyed it as always. The insignia that josh found, in my opinion, are 2 different lieutenant bars. I'm pretty sure they are not Warrant officer's bars. A World war 2 warrant officer's insignia has a single bar with a small squire in the center for a plain warrant officer. A chief warrant officer had 2 small squires all the way up to a chief warrant officer (W-4) with 4 squires and a master had a solid horizontal bar within a bar. I can't tell to much about the gun barrel only that it is nice and I would be interested to know what you find out about it. Good finds guys! Tennessee digger

Donnie, as a Vietnam Veteran, you should know about those military bars. Looking forward to next week. HH, Q.

JC, I dug that marksmanship sterling badge at an old home site where the house has been gone for many years. . I also dug the ladder medal that had "pistol" on it. Dman actually dug a dog tag there and turned it over to the VFW. I don't think the badges have changed much over the years. I have little knowledge of these badges. Thanks for looking, Q.

Definitely an awesome find today's marksman badges are just plain old metal not silver, I don't think they changed much either than just converting from silver to a cheap metal. HH!!

Nice finds Quindy!! I found something very similar to your gold bar last year and posted it in the what is it forum but never got a good answer on what it was. Do you think mine is a "Officer Bar".
Thanks,
Ryan.

Attachments

• image-3101424037.jpg
    image-3101424037.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 158
  • image-2019004911.jpg
    image-2019004911.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 150
It's in a quarter coin flip.

Way to go guys. Nice recoveries. Glad you took my advice to hit the woods for once. LOL.
I dug one of those marksman medals/pins back in 2010 myself.
Congrats. I hope Dman is behaving out in Vegas. Shhhhhhhhhh. :-)

-MM-

Last edited:
That's a beauty! H Digs :)

Good job Quindy!

Fun hunt fellas when you have over lapping military history like that. We dig 6th calvary along with civil war stuff in Fort Oglethorpe. I used to get a lot of those strip clips in 30-06. Wonder what that barrel went to? Is it rifled or Damascus? Enjoyed the hunt!

Those cartridges drive you nuts Richard as you know well-you must dig them or you'll miss a button. Josh said he would run a bore brush through the the barrel tomorrow to check for rifling. Will advise. Thanks, Q.

That was a fun hunt this morning. You never know what you might find. I had civil war relics, world war two relics, a 1919 penney, and hopefully some type of gun barrel. I will try to get the gun barrel looked at tomorrow and try to find out what it is. You got to love this hobby! I tell people it is like a grown mans Easter egg hunt, you never know what you might find!! Lol

Thanks for the replies everyone!! MM, I recall when you dug Thai badge. Dawg, these maneuver 30-06 cartridges drive us nuts. The upside of the WW2 relics is that you find a few coins they dropped. HH, Q.

"these maneuver 30-06 cartridges drive us nuts " :hello: I bet it does . George Patton was out there in your area . Ole' Blood and Gut's , the man has quite a story . One place I stumbled across was in line with the gunnery range for P-42 Thunderbolts from the Millville AAF base . years ago , it wasn't hard at all to get buckets of 50 cal from 1942 :icon_scratch: most were LC or SL embossed . I think the letters were the Armory manuf. . Took awhile to clear them out of an early 1800's home site back then . Large cents mixed in with WW II was crazy . HH DAWG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back