GOLD OMEGA WATCH AND GORHAM STERLING

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I really wanted to go treasure hunting today, but I had a pain in my neck and trouble turning my head, and didn't feel safe driving. Luckily, my lovely wife volunteered to drive me to the thrift store. We walked around the "silver aisle" (metal stuff), then furniture, then through housewares, seeing some cool old stuff, but not something I wanted to add to the piles of junk we already have in our house. No silver in a bag of silverware I examined for a minute either. Then, I walked up to the cash register where the jewelry was, saw the watches, and saw the name OMEGA on a cool vintage MENS watch! I asked to see that one and quickly bought it. While talking with the nice manager, who was ringing me up, she asked if I would like to volunteer there. I think I will. Not because thrift stores have brought me income on occasion, but because they have given me access to a hobby that has brought me much happiness, and have given me many memories while treasure hunting with my wife. You know, the true treasures of this world. Although, this is a watch I have ALWAYS wanted to find, especially after seeing some of the amazing finds you all on Tnet have shared with me. Honestly, I haven't even inspected this watch yet or looked it up to see if it is even valuable- I just now saw that it was ticking while taking photos. It was four dollars and fifty cents though, so I am sure even if it is fake, it is still well worth it. After checking out at the register, I continued looking through jewelry, then the rest of the store. While walking by the silverware again, I noticed that while there wasn't much there, I didn't look in the bottom of a small, near-empty opaque tupperware drawer. In it, I saw a small bag of silverware under some salad spoons that had an old-style repousse-like pattern on them. I picked it up and checked the hallmarks, and it was labeled Gorham Buttercup Sterling! For three dollars, I happily paid, then left the store almost crying, because I've also always wanted to find sterling silverware. If anyone knows anything they would like to tell me about these finds, I can't wait to hear it! It was truly a great day. Pics to follow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another $1,000 day! Way to go!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some great finds! I see nothing that would alarm me that the Omega Automatic Seamaster De Ville watch is a fake. In fact, with the inscription on the back, it is likely that it is genuine. The question is, is it 14kt Gold or 18kt Gold or Gold Filled??!! The Speidel band is not original to the watch but you might have luck finding the correct band with some diligent searching. It will likely have a good price but if within reason, the purchase would be well worth the cost as it will boost your' Omega watch to a higher level of value. Just in case I am wrong, take the watch to the nearest Jared's or Markman's Jewelry Store to have it checked out for authenticity before purchasing a band for it. If it is a genuine Gold Omega, don't be shocked if someone at either store makes you a heck of an offer on the watch.

Good luck!

Frank

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...aster+de+ville+automatic&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Last edited:
OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thank you for the advice! I used a toothpick to clean out crud from between the bottom lugs, and using a strong light and a loupe, I could see that it was labeled 14K GOLD FILLED! Looking at sold BIN prices for the GF date model, the range for working, complete pieces was between $475-$600, so I am having a great day. I'm thinking that with the fancy dial it has (which I haven't seen another of yet on those listings), and getting an original band for it, this one would have the potential to go for more, although I will likely just get it cleaned/serviced and keep it since it's such a beautiful watch and I've wanted one for a long time. Thoughts?

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
By the way, could the lugs and bezel still be solid even with a gold filled back? Either way, I guess I'll find out along with the exact model it is when I get it cleaned/serviced.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Buttercup pattern of Gorham was introduced in 1899, although these pieces are labeled Gorham Sterling instead of with the old hallmarks, putting these pieces sometime after around 1950. The P in a diamond on the back of the fork indicates Place size, a compromise size between the Luncheon and Dinner sizes for families that couldn't afford to have both sets. The range of sold listings was largely $30-60 per piece, with an average of about $40-50 per piece for non-monogrammed pieces. Awesome!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
t_r.gif
t_o.gif
s.gif
t_l.gif

..: NICE BUYS Frisco :..
Thanks for sharing!

tn_moved_over.gif

..: Moved from Today's Finds! over to Thrift Stores for more exposure :..​

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R u kidding me!!. Awesome score on the Omega. Just be prepared that to service the watch for my factory authorized facility will cost you $600 - $800 dollars.

OP
OP
FriscoT06

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
R u kidding me!!. Awesome score on the Omega. Just be prepared that to service the watch for my factory authorized facility will cost you $600 - $800 dollars.

Hmmm... Well it's currently working fine, so I will have to put that off for a while then lol. Thanks for the warning!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... Well it's currently working fine, so I will have to put that off for a while then lol. Thanks for the warning!

You might find a local guy willing to do it for around $250. If it was me I wouldn't touch it even though everyone says you can do more damage. That being said if you experience it stopping even once I would immediately stop wearing it until II gotit serviced.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way, could the lugs and bezel still be solid even with a gold filled back? Either way, I guess I'll find out along with the exact model it is when I get it cleaned/serviced.

If it is stamped Gold Filled on the back, then it is doubtful that the bezel and lugs are solid Gold! However, just in case I am wrong, check the lugs and bezel really well for a 14kt or 18kt Gold stamping and even inside the case, if you can safely remove the back without doing damage. JimDon probably knows more about Omega watches than I do! Even if only Gold Filled, it should fetch a nice price.

Frank

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to say from a picture, but it looks like (in the first pic) the gold is worn on one of the lugs and some places around the bezel. I don't think those are solid either. Still a great find.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch is a spectacular find... Word of advice get it off the Speidel strap!! They can damage the lugs of the watch. Invest $20 and get a nice brown or black leather strap and get it serviced or run it cautiously knowing it could break.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Watch is a spectacular find... Word of advice get it off the Speidel strap!! They can damage the lugs of the watch. Invest $20 and get a nice brown or black leather strap and get it serviced or run it cautiously knowing it could break.

I meant to thank you for this advice! I replaced the Speidel strap on my Omega Constellation because of you. The last thing I need is to wear out the lugs.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I meant to thank you for this advice! I replaced the Speidel strap on my Omega Constellation because of you. The last thing I need is to wear out the lugs.

Let's see the Watch pics with the new strap. As for service I can highly recommend Relichunter724. $95 on eBay. Look at his rating. He did a great job on my Cosmic. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505302065.938370.jpg

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking for "ebed on eBay" after you mentioned him on another post. I'll contact Relichunter724 for sure. And I'll post some pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread