What's new

Gold pocket watch? Update...

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Update #2. I'm now leaning towards "gold filled" as there are what looks like "cracks" in the gold, which looks to be exposing a different kind of metal. Would it be horrible if I tried breaking out the movement, so I'm left with just the case shell?

Update. I took it to the local clock/watch shop but he couldn't get the back open. He tried for about 10 minutes, and eventually said, "oh, we can get it open, but it will be with a pair of pliers." So, I decided to leave after that, haha. Just by looks he said it looked more like brass than gold. I courteously disagreed because of how it came out of the ground (ownership adds something haha). So, I then took it to a local pawn shop to have it tested. She did the scratch test where they put the acid on the flakes that scrape off. She said it didn't test 14k, but does "barely" meet the 10k criteria (possibly 9k?). BUT, she wouldn't give her full blessing for solid gold, though.

I have it with me now and am looking for any breaks where, if it was plated/filled, the gold would have worn away. I honestly can't see any. Still taking dirt away, and still a gold color shines though. I'll try cleaning the cracks a little more...

As soon as I found it, wasn't quite sure what to make of it. It looked gold, but much of it was covered in very tough black dirt so I couldn't tell it if was solid, or plated. When I got home, after scraping some of the dirt, what was under it wasn't tarnished and it looked gold! I finished cleaning it up and it sure looks gold to me.

I'm not sure if the stem (is that the proper term?) is gold though. It didn't clean up quite like the case. Is it common to have this different metal than the case?

Nice design on the back... looks to be hand-engraved as the carvings aren't 100% perfect.

Any idea on age? It measures about 1 3/4" wide and about 2" tall with the stem.

Thanks and happy hunting!
 

Attachments

  • pockewatchcleaned.webp
    pockewatchcleaned.webp
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • pockewatchcleaned1.webp
    pockewatchcleaned1.webp
    46 KB · Views: 1,007
  • pockewatchcleaned (4).webp
    pockewatchcleaned (4).webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 994
  • pockewatchcleaned (2).webp
    pockewatchcleaned (2).webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 995
  • pockewatchcleaned (3).webp
    pockewatchcleaned (3).webp
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,001
Upvote 0
Re: I think I found a gold pocket watch!

If that is gold that is one nice find. I have no idea on it's age. They sure don't make them like they used to :icon_sunny:
 
Re: I think I found a gold pocket watch!

sure looks nice for being in the ground, any possible gold marks anywhere? might be inside case
 
Re: I think I found a gold pocket watch!

awesome find!!! :hello2: Open the back, it should have like a separate compartment then alittle flap that opens. Inside that should be a marking of some sorts. If it does, research it!!! I found one that dated back to 1896-1899 Should give you some idea to the age. WTG Greg :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • 105_0076.webp
    105_0076.webp
    146.2 KB · Views: 951
Re: Gold pocket watch?

If are able to get the back open, and if it isn't Too corroded inside you may be able to find maker name (waltham, elgin, etc) and a serial number, that serial number will tell you the age. There are several websites out there that you look up the maker name and they list the years and range of serial numbers for those years.
 
Re: Gold pocket watch?

Interesting find. :)
 
Re: Gold pocket watch?

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:Nice find! If you can get the back open the case should be marked. There are a lot of gold marks used on watches, a good source is the complete guide to watches by Cooksey Shugart, Tom Engle, and Richard Gilbert. Most book stores have this and you don't have to buy it just look up what you need to know in the store. My 2005 guide has solid gold marks on pg. 35 and gold filled marks on pg 37, basically if it is marked warranted its usually plate unless its also marks "U.S.ASSAY" Then its gold. There are a lot of other marks that can be misleading so the book is real helpful. and then there are foreign marks which are a lot easier to figure out.
As far as age it looks like a lot of watches made in the 20's and 30's. If you can find the maker and serial number that will tell you the year. Basically stem wind means no older than about 1880, key wind means no later than 1920's [there are exceptions of course] ;D one thing that makes figuring this out more difficult is that with the higher dollar watches a person would often buy the movement separate from the case and the watch "maker" or jeweler would marry them up. or the case could get replaced at a later date with a better case.
Hope this helps. ;D Again NICE FIND!
 
Re: Gold pocket watch?

I am going to say that it isnt gold..... all the gold I have ever saw come out of the ground or water does not tarnish... gold comes up... well gold.... silver will tarnish as do plated items..... just my humble opinion

having said that.... finding an intact pocket watch is VERY cool... I have found one case in 18 yrs of hunting... and it was in a bottle dump... stioll cant get it to come apart either.. soaked it in everything too
 
Re: Gold pocket watch?

No expert on these, but looks early 1900s & silver plated.
 
Re: Gold pocket watch?

Hard to tell from pics if gold, silver or plated. Looks like a newer style engraving. Is it a key or stem wound one?

Brian
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom