Gold Prospecting in Quebec

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TN being one of the best sources for information, perhaps I can help expand the scope somewhat. Since I live in Champlain, NY about 600 meters (yards) from Quebec, Canada - US border, I find Quebec to be in my prospecting crosshairs, more than New York or New England. I have found that there is a plethora of great prospecting information available to all. The ease that on may obtain a prospecting license/permit to explore on Crown land (some akin to the BLM in nature). The permit cost for a year are dirt cheap... about USD $40 after all fees and junk taxes included. The permit is $10, but bureaucrats have added fees to it. As they say... it something causes a smile, tax it! Canadian politicians are no different.
All of that being said... here is a link to some of the best info that I have yet to read. There are maps, guides to the area, transportation available, unique means of detecting the ore bodies or placer, general geology, electrical locating methodologies, cost per acre for claim fees are nickel and dime, etc., etc. Great reading to open ones' eyes to possibilities that exist just north of the US.

Here's the link to some great info -

Best of luck north of the border!

Last edited:
Upvote 2
GREAT INFO ! BUT it is my understanding from people up there that you must be a citizen from there to be able to acquire a claim. Yes a person could work a claim under a citizen's permit ! But there is a LOT of potential there !!

GREAT INFO ! BUT it is my understanding from people up there that you must be a citizen from there to be able to acquire a claim. Yes a person could work a claim under a citizen's permit ! But there is a LOT of potential there !!
There is no such citizenship requirement. There was no item on the application form indicating nationality. The Canadians are not as xenophobic like some folks are here in the US. The Crown is more interested in leasing you a claim at what we would consider paltry dollar amounts per annum. The mailing address on my application was here in the US. Please review the application form attached below to see how simple a prospecting permit can be. The permit opens all unclaimed Crown land for the permit holder.

Attachments

• form-mines-prospecting-licence-application.pdf
    175.9 KB · Views: 90
TN being one of the best sources for information, perhaps I can help expand the scope somewhat. Since I live in Champlain, NY about 600 meters (yards) from Quebec, Canada - US border, I find Quebec to be in my prospecting crosshairs, more than New York or New England. I have found that there is a plethora of great prospecting information available to all. The ease that on may obtain a prospecting license/permit to explore on Crown land (some akin to the BLM in nature). The permit cost for a year are dirt cheap... about USD $40 after all fees and junk taxes included. The permit is $10, but bureaucrats have added fees to it. As they say... it something causes a smile, tax it! Canadian politicians are no different.
All of that being said... here is a link to some of the best info that I have yet to read. There are maps, guides to the area, transportation available, unique means of detecting the ore bodies or placer, general geology, electrical locating methodologies, cost per acre for claim fees are nickel and dime, etc., etc. Great reading to open ones' eyes to possibilities that exist just north of the US.

Here's the link to some great info -

Best of luck north of the border!
Interesting read and I started to wonder when did this rush happen.

In 1906, Alphonse Olier and Auguste Renault discovered the first gold deposit in the Rouyn-Noranda region, on the shores of Lac Fortune.

You need to update any information regarding waterways/streams/creeks that have a flow into another.
Spawning is a big issue-well besides peeing one can find a binder of things that state mudding up any water source can lead to an infraction.
Quebec is a hard place to even as everything has to be in "FRENCH"
So best of luck, and make sure all the I's are doted and the T's are crossed.
Sounds like an adventure.

The gold rush in Quebec began earlier that in the rest of Canada. In 1846, a young girl, found a hen egg sized nugget in the Gilbert River which was later named after her. The news of the find spread like wild fire and prospectors flocked the region looking for the next big find. Placer deposits in the area have been quite rich. This is demonstrated by the fact that Quebec is home to the largest nuggets ever found in Canada weighing at 52 and 45 each. (?? ounces ??, ??grams??).

Recreational gold miners can find some gold in the non-glacial stream deposits around the southern part of Quebec. Miners should look out for gravels that seem to be rusty brown in appearance indicating high iron content. Such gravels are known to have more gold due to the iron sulphide they contain.

On the other hand, gravels that have a grey appearance usually hold a lower amount of gold. In these streams you will find flour gold in most cases, but with the history of gold nuggets in the province you can still get lucky and have your name in history like others who were as lucky in the past. Metal detecting may be worthwhile since there is a history of large gold nuggets in Quebec.

Last edited:
There is no such citizenship requirement. There was no item on the application form indicating nationality. The Canadians are not as xenophobic like some folks are here in the US. The Crown is more interested in leasing you a claim at what we would consider paltry dollar amounts per annum. The mailing address on my application was here in the US. Please review the application form attached below to see how simple a prospecting permit can be. The permit opens all unclaimed Crown land for the permit holder.
Just rec'd a letter from the Ministere de l'Energie et Ressources Naturelles (MERN) and MEI. There is no longer any requirements for prospecting in Quebec from 09 December 2021 forward.. In short... you just have to conform to the mining laws and regulations. Suggest that you visit their office in Montreal, Canada. Don't worry these good folks are fluent in English, French as well as other languages. They appear to be eager to help all that visit and need information. Best of luck to all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back