Gold + Pyrite on quartz piece

one blanket

Nov 14, 2006
I've sounded dumb before and guess I have lived it down. So here is a few dumb questions: I see the yellow stuff, but how do I tell pyrite from gold? If the yellow is gold then where do I look for the pyrite? Am I correct in thinking the black dots are garnets?
One photo shows a silvery thing toward the middle of the specimen - - what might it be?
Thanks Takoda for any input. I especially look for your posts. I'm thinking hard rock is the thing to search for.
One Blanket, One Jackass prospector

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II DP; Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
That "Pyrite" might be Silver. If it is indeed pyritic, I have to say that I have never seen stringers Au in such close proximity. Nice specimen!

one blanket

Nov 14, 2006
thanks for the instruction. If ever my yellow stuff gets large enough to accept a malleability test I can quit guessing.
My quartz does not have any black dots showing; but reddish/purple ish / faceted I am told is garnet. I assume that is a good sign?

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That specimen has very nice contrast between the white, black, gold and nice textures from rough to geometric.
Awesome find. :)

gold eagle

May 27, 2012
Lake havasu City AZ
Detector(s) used
G M T , Bounty Hunter Lone star , Tesoro Lobo .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOOKS LIKE YOU BEEN INTO THE rIOS ORO GOLD MINE ARIZONA, THE GOLD IN QUARTZ FROM THE RIO LOOKS JUST LIKE YOUR ORE ,LOOKS GOOD KEEP ON DIGGING !!!!!!!!!

pleiade

Oct 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More Quartz with Mineralization

LOOKS LIKE YOU BEEN INTO THE rIOS ORO GOLD MINE ARIZONA, THE GOLD IN QUARTZ FROM THE RIO LOOKS JUST LIKE YOUR ORE ,LOOKS GOOD KEEP ON DIGGING !!!!!!!!!

I just came back from our new claim sites where we found these... didn't find visable gold yet - but I would think these would show some good indicators that there might be gold close to these finds... or what? Any tips?
IMG_0324.JPG IMG_0325.JPG IMG_0326.JPG

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Black sand is primarily made up of magnetite and hemetite. They are a good indication that gold may be nearby. The rust color in your rocks, especially if the local dirt is that color is good. The more vuggy (full of holes) the quartz is, the better chance its vugs caught gold that came out of solution. Many mining communities have their own "gold" museums. Visit often and buy samples of the local host rock if possible. I predict a couple of good mineral field guides are in your future. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread