Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took an unusual evening beach hunt yesterday and glad I did! Only had about 2 hours to hunt with my Nox 800 and decided beforehand to minimize any numbers over 26. This is the upper limit for gold while the lower ID limit is 3, based on my previous gold findings. Sabisch in his book on the 800/600 says the same thing. Any ways, wanted to minimize digging anything w/o the possibility of it being gold given my limited time. Also decided to dig a lot of partial pull/push tabs with good ID numbers.

About 1 hour into my hunt I came across a really good sounding target with a “9” ID. Target was a Man’s black Titanium ring with black sapphires listed at about $400.
Black Sapphire Ring.jpg

The next jack-pot was a small gold band (#9-10) weighing in at a full 2 grams. Hurrah!

On the way home I placed the rings on my middle console; in front of my gear-shifter on a hatch that slides inward revealing below a small compartment. When I made a left-hand turn, the gold ring slid inward to the back of the hatch. I grabbed my Swiss Army knife and tried to knock the ring out towards me as I was driving. Instead, the ring shot further back to the left; disappearing deep into my middle console underneath the radio. To make matters even worse, now I couldn’t side the hatch inward to access the compartment because the ring was blocking the slide.

Saved by a You tube video, the next day I figured-out how to dismantle the middle console of my 2016 F150 Lariat. [Wife would have killed me if I left a scratch!]

Before with middle console whole:
Normal Midconsole.jpg

This is the middle console partially dismantled to access my recently found gold band:
Midconsole removed.jpg

The gold band is seen hiding way back there:
Gold Ring Wedged in back.jpg

The infamous gold band:
Small Gold Ring.jpg

I sure hope retrieving gold bands isn’t this hard in the future…

Oh, also found a small piece of lead with “Uruguay” scribbled on it (no idea what it is), and a “Northeastern” cremation tag I’ll return to the Gulf shortly. I know for a fact that keeping cremation tags is very bad luck. Always return to the sea.

Urugrary lead.jpg

Southeastern Cremation tag.jpg

Happy Hunting

Upvote 0

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had solid locks on gold chains at 1 & 3.
Dave

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nox, while a good machine, has limited discrimination capabilities, especially when it comes to gold and silver jewelry. Saying that the range of gold on the Nox is 3 through 26 is just about the same as saying, "dig everything" as this range represents about 60% of the non-ferrous scale. Now take some of your larger class rings, especially the thinner ones and present the wider portion of the ring to the coil, sometimes these numbers will exceed 26, now take that same ring and present the narrow portion of the band to the coil, sometimes these readings will fall to as far as 17 or thereabouts. This same type thing will also frequently happen with sterling jewelry when using the Nox. This has to do with the manner in which the Nox uses size and shape to classify objects.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds and great re-find. Thank goodness for YouTube tutorials.
dts

Shakakka

May 11, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ring. Great to know about the dashboard, I'll have to be careful with putting gold in my Raptor. :occasion14:

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I've heard reports of gold failing as low as -1 on the 800 in certain soil conditions. In my hunting grounds or I should say beach, I haven't seen even tiny gold fall below "3" (0.36g gold ring), yet. [About 2 summers ago I published on TreasureNet about 20-25 gold rings (memory is going!) of various weight/size and their nox 800 numbers in Beach II.] All the gold studs, so far, fall around 7-9 for me. Found numerous gold chains with nox but I always believe the larger clasp triggered the response. But on a regular hunt, I dig all consistent signals in my discrimination range (1-39), unless they clearly sound like junk. I do like my silver with the nox in the higher numbers, usually, but I was just surprised by a tiny 925 silver and jade ring at "9". Thought it could be a gold stud. But when I'm time limited, my technique seems to work for me in searching out gold.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
To me there’s no greater teaching site than YouTube. It’s like a giant library.

OP
OP
L

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
To those who might be interested in gold and Nox numbers (sorry data doesn't line-up but ya'll can figure it out.):
No Weight (g) NOX 800 Num Karat
1 0.8 5 14
2 1.35 11 14
3 2.08 7 14
4 2.19 13 22
5 2.97 11 14
6 3.05 13 14
7 3.9 17 10
8 4.82 15 14
9 5.71 13 10
10 5.58 18 14
11 6.37 19 18
12 8.83 21 14
13 7.52 16.5 14
14 7.04 19 14
15 8.5 14 14
16 10 14 14
17 9 11 14
18 10.88 16 14
19 11.05 14 18
Graph wouldn't paste but, in general, as gold ring weight increases ID number increases. Not included is a 0.36g gold band at #3 or a 6oz gold necklace at #15...among many others since data tabulated. How many were missed because hunters thought target was a pull/push tab or even a cent?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you’re going to run into issues with the Nox are those rings, such as class rings, with large/wide settings. Bands will typically hold pretty steady because, like coins, their shape is pretty consistent. However, just not the case with these other rings, including silver. Lay these rings flat under the coil and they will usually hold pretty steady, but, if you position the ring so that the wider/larger setting portion of the ring is facing the coil you will generally see a significant difference in the VDI, perhaps even some uncertainty. This is because, on the Nox, size and shape really do matter quite a bit, VS other machines that prioritize conductivity. On some of these other machines the variance will be much tighter.
DSCN3789.jpg DSCN3790.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread