Gold ring!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took a trip to an old favorite site, a large old park near a beach that I have hunted dozens of times. This place has yielded hundreds of old coins including an 1836 Capped Dime and several large cents, but NEVER did I find gold there.....until today! Finds were few, so I was digging essentially anything that I knew wouldn't be iron. Probably my fifth signal of the day, pulled some dirt out of the hole and saw what looked like a gold edge. How many times has that gold edge been the edge of a pulltab, so I figured just another one, but this one seemed thicker. Tossed the dirt on the ground and this baby fell out!

I couldn't wait to get it home and rinse it off- so sweet to see 14K stamped inside! Weighs in at just under .25 oz. First gold ring since 2007, so I'm stoked about this one!

Also added an 1864 Indian and worn slick King George Copper.

Enjoy the pics and HH all!

-- Jeff --

Attachments

• RingHazel 001r.jpg
    RingHazel 001r.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 212
  • RingHazel 003r.jpg
    RingHazel 003r.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 216
  • RingHazel 008r.jpg
    RingHazel 008r.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 212
  • RingHazel 010r.jpg
    RingHazel 010r.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 189
  • RingHazel 012r.jpg
    RingHazel 012r.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Upvote 27

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, Jeff!

Had you gone over the same area before and somehow missed this?

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find, Jeff!

Had you gone over the same area before and somehow missed this?

Hi,

Been over this park at least 20 times, but this is probably the first or second (maximum) time that I've been through it with my SE Pro and Ultimate coil combo- I simply cannot believe how much I find with this set up that I previously missed with my XS and stock coil- scary!

-- Jeff --

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find!!

Only ever found gold once myself, a gold ring. Yours is a beauty...

The big copper and 1864 IH were some good finds too. Congrats!!

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff you know thats old gold for sure, awesome job brother...:icon_thumright: ill be talking to Ed this weekend about the hook up see ya soon bud....:headbang:

ArmyJoe

Apr 30, 2014
S. Korea
Detector(s) used
Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

Any chance of seeing pics of the engraving on the sides of the ring? Definitely looks old and it's a beautiful find! .25 OZ is awesome!

Joe

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful vintage initial ring, this one deserves to be up on the banner much more than any of the relatively modern gold coins we see up there. This is more rare and definitely much more beautiful as far as I'm concerned.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a looker right there. Any digger would be proud....Congrats on a hard found find.

I keep believing good things come to those that wait....still waiting...it's all staying "unfound".

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff you know thats old gold for sure, awesome job brother...:icon_thumright: ill be talking to Ed this weekend about the hook up see ya soon bud....:headbang:

And I DIDN'T find this at Seated- saving that place for us! I'm hoping we can spend the whole day there and see what happens. Hope to see you guys soon- Ed knows my schedule.....

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff,

Any chance of seeing pics of the engraving on the sides of the ring? Definitely looks old and it's a beautiful find! .25 OZ is awesome!

Joe

Joe,

I added a couple of pics of the sides- they're mirror images. Looks like a leaf, perhaps grapes and???

OP
OP
JeffInMass

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful vintage initial ring, this one deserves to be up on the banner much more than any of the relatively modern gold coins we see up there. This is more rare and definitely much more beautiful as far as I'm concerned.

Erik,

Do you think this has some value other than the gold bullion? I found something on the web that the insignia may be from the Five Colleges Astronomy Department in Western Mass.

I was thinking of moving it with the price of gold going up so much today!

-- Jeff --

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Jeff! Please don't melt it!!! Just the fact that it is an initial ring gives it more value that the bullion itself and it is aesthetically a very beautiful ring. If in fact it was affiliated with a school or organization it will in all likelihood make it even more valuable. Looking forward to more research on it. Best, Erik

BTW I'm guessing the initials are H.A.D.

Last edited:

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, that is a nice, chunky ring! Congrats

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one! Hogge....(in Ma.):occasion14:

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely gorgeous ring. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the Gold recovery!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread