Gold Rush season 5 -- starting 10/17/14

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, let's start an official thread with what I know so far.

* Parker wants to buy his own lease to be free of Tony and has a stated goal of 2000 ounces

* The Hoffmans are abandoned. Dave Turin is going to work for Freddie Dodge.

* Dakota Fred and Dustin are off the show due to a contract dispute.

* Tony f***ing Beets wants to rebuild a floating dredge in a project that should yield lots of beeps.

And just saw this. Jim Thurber is out.

Jim Thurber : Discovery Channel

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
All that ground that has been mined, is under a reclamation bond, if the miners do not return it to its previous state, the managing state or federal office which issued the permits, will complete the task, and the bonding company will be on the hook for the costs, and ultimatedly they will get their money from the orginal permit holder. I would think that the bulk of the gold on these Klondike claims are glacial till...

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dennis, all of modern commercial mining in North America is done as Oakview says, with a bond posted and held in escrow until the mining is done and the reclamation completed. Placer mining is very light on the environment. Settling ponds are used to keep sediment out of your favorite downstream fishing hole and the land is regraded, topsoil put back, trees planted, ground over as well. Up in the Yukon and in Alaska they often leave large ponds at the right depth for the water plants to grow which moose love so they are creating habitat for those large mammals too.

Don't know which state you are from but I bet you'd be surprised at the number of local recreation areas and parks which are reclaimed mining areas!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why most of them haven't followed the tailings back up to the veins and the possible Collection Dish as I like to call it.

They seem to be at lower elevations and the gold there in the Klondike is chunky from its churning up through a Volcano, which usually are best to hunt right at the base of the runoff channels and riverheads of these rivers.......

these guys are all looking for flake and small nuggets in mass, from moving HUGE AMOUNTS OF CRAP, they play the odds at a lower percent per pound moved because they are so far from the origin of the gold

they also have to dig under layers of topsoil, they screw up every fishing hole downstream and chase off the wildlife that hunters use to survive on with huge machines........

.....2000 ounces.....thats a whopping 165 lbs........and they are pulling how many ounces per ton of soil???

whats the place going to be used for after they are done??

they create a temporary use of a permanently destroyed area

I only endorse Picking and Panhandling, Sleucing is fine if done by hand or small portable machine, but why make all the racket and carry so much???

You can just walk right up, find the flake, and "Walk The Line", the river, right up to the base of the mountain where it came out from.......bigger chunks fall to the bottom and are harder to carry downstream, the flake can be whisked away in the currents,

but the Nugget is always up up up up up up in them thar hills.......

If they were trying to show off the New Kid as being smarter, he would get smarter and not so nasal.....nothing personal, he just seems to whine after laying his demands and getting shot down.....everyone around him seems to be saying F Off kid......

I dont like that either, from old dogs, but there is no reason to make him out to be the stereotypical underdog either

so you're right there are so many manipulations of the personalities, and you can tell their methods of documentation are geared at creating conflict and dramatic/impulsive reactions......
Most of the sources for the gold mined in the Yukon are unknown They are very old deposits that were formed millions of years ago You should do a little research before chiming in.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very funny considering that he's Dutch!
vikings raided the Netherlands in the 9th and 10th century maybe they were his ancestors...he looks pretty authentic either way:laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
vikings raided the Netherlands in the 9th and 10th century maybe they were his ancestors...he looks pretty authentic either way:laughing7:
good point...their genetic lines extend south to Paris and west into the UK and Ireland after all. Still culturally he's a Dutchman :) although I don't recall meeting ANYONE in Holland who swears like him ;)

Washington Gold

Oct 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parker and family + TOny Beets come across as the most genuine of them all, mostly genuine mining and relatively minimal acting and BS production setups. Until this season when PAYSON showed up, eh wtf

Fred and Dustin were decent, man what a WEIRD father/son relationship they have

Hoffmans could disappear off the face of the earth, what a bunch of tools

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to start a Fight, But am wondering if you consider your self a hard core environmentalist ?

Lets say I dont even leave behind footprints....

like a ninja environmentalist....lol

lets say that when you piss in the river and Im drinking downstream I remember.....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets say I dont even leave behind footprints....

lets say that when you piss in the river and Im drinking downstream I remember.....

ninja environmentalist huh ? :laughing7:

not me :tongue3: as far as rivers go I would never drink from one.
I don't think river water is the same as spring water :tongue3:
I just had to say that.

however to get back to the point you were making with that statement.
I am not a germaphope, if Rivers were/are safe to drink from ever.
what happens up stream won't effect me as long as I'm not picturing it happening.

& what about the millions of years of animal & Bird Poop & dead carcasses ?

Besides timing is everything. I can be done Drinking before a spec of the Wiz from
1000 feet above gets to where I am :thumbsup:

sort of like dumping a bottle of Old Grandad in a reservoir & expecting everyone
who drinks from their tap to test positive
for alcohol :tongue3:

But rock On :notworthy:

Last edited:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't want to start a Fight, But am wondering if you consider your self a hard core environmentalist ? I'm asking
Simply because I disagree on this Statement.
Yes it could be in bad shape for the rest of "our Lives".
But it doesn't mean destroyed permanently .
Our lives are a Flash in the pan, & our footprint, the same.

some considered Anthracite Mining the Destruction of the area I live.

40 years ago this was all stripped & Gray from Coal Dirt

View attachment 1074522

This Aerial was from 2012

If you were to take an aerial of this area today,
You would see corn & other fields, Forest land,
with Motor Bike & 4 Wheel Trails
& still a Few Anthracite coal businesses
mixed in. I wouldn't consider that destroyed land.

imo Nothing is destroyed forever unless you want it to be :thumbsup:

forever is a long time :tongue3:

now does that mean they will clean their's up like this one......40 years later???

lets see what they do after they run out of gold?

abandon the big floating digger like the other company did way back and just leave their crap laying around??

All I said is it is a fricking headache when you can roll up to an old stream at the base of a certain strata and just enjoy the rest of eternity chasing veins......why dredge and waste all that time......thats what I said

And when you ruin the fishing in an area where people live, and enjoy their days without this headache.....who has anything to say?.......the residents, fisherman and hunters do.....

All I was saying is that it is more of a temporary hustle that causes massive clearings that are useless afterwards and constantly runoff clogging the rivers if not contained....

here's the alaska scene I was mentioning that doesnt get filmed at all for some reason......

Alaska Gold Mining Plan Would Destroy World's Largest Salmon Fisheries - Business Insider

EXTRA ! EXTRA ! READ ALL ABOUT IT !!!! GOLD MINERS ARE DESTROYING THE SALMON HATCHERIES IN AK!!!!

Last edited:

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An example of why there is no guarantee of these "Inspected" areas........its just not feasible to be diggin that much area, and leaving that much waste for such a little amount of gold

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lets say I don't even leave behind footprints....
lets say that when you piss in the river and I'm drinking downstream I remember.....

I have little doubt that you would remember...not to ever do that again!
green.gif~original

In all honesty, no one should drink directly from any river, stream or creek.
Sometimes you can get away with it, but it's not worth the risk IMO. Had
a case Beaver Fever once, and that was enough.

If you don't know what Beaver Fever is, it gets in almost all watersheds
when the resident beavers take a dump. AKA: Giardia. Not to mention a
dozen other water born pathogens that exist in many creeks and streams.

Do you honestly think that if Tony's new dredge drops pollutants in
the river that the Alaska State Patrol/Fish and Wildlife wouldn't be
crawling up his arse with fines in a NY second?

A Preservationist approach, as you are suggesting, does not benefit either
the land or mankind. How do you think they got the gold to make your
wedding band? The land will recover, in spades, and a couple hundred years
from now you won't know they were ever there.

Ever heard of the Tunguska Event?

Seems to me that meteors that enter our atmosphere and explode in the
air are a far more serious issue environmentally. It is estimated that the
Tunguska explosion knocked down some 80 million trees over an area of
830 sq mi. An Alaskan mine like Tony's or Parkers wouldn't make a pimple
on the arse of the Tunguska blast. Even with that amount of devastation
in 1906, the land is healing well today and is reforesting itself.

Don't pollute the Earth, agreed, but no need to be off tilting at windmills.

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
At least in California and most of the west I am familar with, Reclamation and bonding has been going on since the early 70's. Given the radical enviormental nature of the EPA and their quest for control of all navigable waters including puddles in your driveway, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in anything that comes from their think tank. 75000 per day fines for a legally permitted stock pond. Talk about overeach:laughing7:

EPA targets couple's private pond in Wyoming, threatens huge fines | Fox News

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love when people complain about what happens to the environment then post videos of helicopters that use gas and emit exhaust to try to make a point about environment protection.

Jwoot

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Parker and family + TOny Beets come across as the most genuine of them all, mostly genuine mining and relatively minimal acting and BS production setups. Until this season when PAYSON showed up, eh wtf

Fred and Dustin were decent, man what a WEIRD father/son relationship they have

Hoffmans could disappear off the face of the earth, what a bunch of tools

I dont think they are biological and that is why it appears so weird.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I look at most any map I dont see endless abandoned Mine sites. I see endless earth destroying, resource depleteing, toxic waste dump, mental cesspools called cities. The idjits keep deflecting so they dont have to look under or address their own rock. Cover a pile of poo with paper doent make it smell any better or change what it is! How about Detroit or Flint, sections of LA, NYC, and Chicago to name a small few? How many abandoned buildings, homes, and factories? How many miles, hundreds of miles of abandoned sewer? How many reservoirs worth of toxic _______? You could fit 3 or 4 Pebble mines in the area of Detroit alone.
I'll go out on a limb and venture to guess that the environmentally conscious poster has one- never been to AK. And two- doesn't have a lot of hands on experience with the seemingly endless veins of quartz spewing gold across the landscape. I left AK (specifically Bristol Bay) a little over 25 years ago. So i admit I haven't been following it as I probanly should. However the rhetoric and political dogma I have followed shares the same theme as what we miners are enduring here in the lower 48. Follow the money, this mine is being blackballed because some entitiy didn't get a big enough slice of the pie. There are only two entities that wield enough clout and power to shape policy and sway public and political opinion, one is the Oil industry the other the largest beneficiary of the oil industry. This is all about money not solving easily mitigated problems. We are not a problem solving nation anymore. Rather then work through issues we blanket spank, condemn, and ban.

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know if that dredge was the gpaa one the used to use in the 80s

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, not sure why you are telling me this. I think you misdirected your post. Maybe you meant that post for Eldo. I know exactly how what and why so........

Anyway, I had a few things to say to Eldo, but I held my words as to not turn this thread into a whizzing contest. Some people just believe everything they hear as the truth when it comes to environment issues. However that just is not the case. Environmental issues are the most manipulated and lied about issues we have going on in this country today. The worst kind of politics are used in association with environmental issues every day. Spotted owls being endangered is one of the huge lies as an example. However, I am not here to highjack a thread so I will leave it at that.

Reclamation on those claims won't take as long as you think, and the work being done is not ruining fishing, the environment or anything else. There are no chemicals being used. They are using settling ponds. After those companies are finished with those claims, the area will be properly reclaimed and trees replanted and likely within 25 or so years you won't even be able to tell anybody was mining there. This isn't the 1800's and mining is regulated and although it may look like mass destruction to people who don't know any better, it is done with modern methods and reclamation is part of the big picture.

That other mining operation mentioned above being blocked in Alaska is a good example of dirty politics. The fact is that mine would have no affect on salmon populations. No matter what the environmentalists say. Over fishing by commercial operations especially in the Japan region. along with dams in river systems are the 2 major causes of salmon depletion world wide. Dredging can actually help salmon and other fisheries by loosening hard packed gravels therefore making more and better spawning areas. Especially in river systems that have been altered by dams which prevent natural flooding which prevents natures way of loosening and redistribution of gravels and sands which is what rivers need to keep the ecosystem healthy.

The root of the problem is people. Even when we think we know how to fix something, we usually just find another way to screw things up. Evidence of this can be found in our forests and the mess created by the spotted owl issues that have been going on for 30+ years. What an environmental joke that has become. The result has been huge forest fires. I guarantee that little owl hasn't got a snowballs chance in he11 against a huge forest fire. Compared to logging which could be done in an environmentally sound way with modern technics and selective harvest, a forest is a renewable resource. Not after a huge hot fire crystalizes the ground to the point that trees will never grow again.

Ok, so I got off point anyway. Sorry for the rant, but these are touchy subjects for me. Dennis

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry Dennis, my bad. Peace!

OP
OP
O

Ordell

Feb 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good episode, and the drama didn't seem manufactured, save for the grand entrance by Todd's team at the end. Most of it just happened on its own with all the breakdowns.

Not keen on Parker bringing that puppy to a mine. It was clearly scared and that's a nasty place for a dog to be. I assume someone off camera kept an eye on things.

God I love Minnie Beets. She tells that **** Viking husband of her to **** kiss off. But wow, serious fail by his mine crew to not check a blown fuse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread