Gold sucker/ hand dredge

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for some input on the hose and bucket attached sand and gravel pumps. Like gold N Sand, or the one Fissureman makes. Anyone had success with these devices? Do they work as well as shown and explained? I really like the idea of one as I find myself working a small tight hole headed straight down thru clay and haven't found bedrock yet. Digging is tough because the hole is only a couple feet in diameter, getting hard to shovel gravel, so very interested in one of these pumps. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good gold to ya.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drywallman,

Here's mine, with different lengths and diameter nozzles it can go as deep as 8 feet. No good in clay, clay will jamb it up big time and so will mud.
handdredge.jpg

But for digging into a hole underwater I made one of these and it works better than any shovel.....

100_5119.jpg 100_5120.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

stanjtown

Nov 9, 2012
Lebanon County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are very easy to make and should cost less than $60.00 I made mine in less than one hour and it works great.

Good luck

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a Gold-N-Sand unit - other than needing to wear leather gloves (because when you press the pull handle down, it tends to hit the thin skin between your index finger and thumb, making for a lot of pain), it does a great job. I find that If I dig in the same river hole - I get a lot less black sands than if I use the Gold-N-Sand unit to pull material out with.

If you have one of these, carry channel-locks so you can get it apart to clean all of the pebbles out of it.

The picture is my friend Patrick using one on Clear Creek (Denver) yesterday - we got gold. My Gold Cube is set up not far away.

Attachments

• 2013-04-14-CC05.jpg
    2013-04-14-CC05.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 344
Last edited:

stanjtown

Nov 9, 2012
Lebanon County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you change the handle from a t to a 45 elbow the. Put a short piece off if that it works much better. Look at the one GG made its the one that I molded mine after.
Stan

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys great input, especially about the channel locks. How often do they get clogged? Once in a while, daily, every couple buckets worth?

stanjtown

Nov 9, 2012
Lebanon County
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the tip cloggs but if you put a screw or some kind of pin through it about 1/2" to 3/4" off the end it will reduce the clogging.

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I got my Gold N Sand and use it today on the creek, nice little unit and I found a little color too. My question or concern is that blow out seems very likely. The volume of material and water it will move with each stroke had me concerned that maybe I had gold flying out of the bucket in the large water jet blowing out if the hole. Has anyone else had a problem or concern with this? I am thinking about making a 5 gallon bucket and lid for it as I think the volume of the container will help?
Thanks

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't own one but I have had the same concern. My thought to fix that was a 5 gallon bucket with lid. Discharge from the gun would go into the bucket thru a hole in the center of the lid. Have a few 1/2 holes or larger spaced along the side near the top to allow water spillage and see the material level inside. At least that's the theory...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok so I got my Gold N Sand and use it today on the creek, nice little unit and I found a little color too. My question or concern is that blow out seems very likely. The volume of material and water it will move with each stroke had me concerned that maybe I had gold flying out of the bucket in the large water jet blowing out if the hole. Has anyone else had a problem or concern with this? I am thinking about making a 5 gallon bucket and lid for it as I think the volume of the container will help?
Thanks

Concern, yes, initially. Problem ,no. Before you go to a lot of trouble, try testing - put the 1 gal bucket into a 5 gal and start pumping! The 5 gal will catch all the heavies that come out of the 1 gal. Then you can pan or sluice the stuff in the 5 gal. Then you will relax :-)

OP
OP
Sample Pan Dan

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concern, yes, initially. Problem ,no. Before you go to a lot of trouble, try testing - put the 1 gal bucket into a 5 gal and start pumping! The 5 gal will catch all the heavies that come out of the 1 gal. Then you can pan or sluice the stuff in the 5 gal. Then you will relax :-)

Good call Kevin, thanks

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
At your service...just keep in' us all sane and on the gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread