newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all

During the summer i started gold panning in a small creek in Adams County,PA and found what might be really small grains of gold dust. Now this creek runs of a small mountain and into Conewago Creek. Inwitch small amounts of gold have been found. I can only find about 3 or 4 grains of this stuff a pan and its a pain tryng to get them out. Anyways i was hoping yall could tell me some ways to find out what this stuff is. When i pan its part of the last stuff in a pan with the black sand.Its a little bit yellow but like i said to small to really tell. Also i got a different Q. Does small thin flakes of gold move around in a pan? Thanks.

Newgoldfinder

Upvote 0

Kruzman

May 23, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
once you know what ultra fine gold looks like in a pan you want have issues mistaking it in the future, but a cheap microscope does clear up a lot... use 70x. cant confuse gold with something else at 70x

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi newgoldfinder and welcome to the net.
Yes small micro gold will move around in a pan, so will large gold if swirled hard enough. Small gold will also float due to water tension so be careful. If it is hanging up with the black sand it could be gold or pyrite although pyrite isn't usually flaky. nkurban had a good suggestion either a microscope or magnifying glass.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

z.daniel88

Feb 17, 2012
Richmond IN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
get u a snuffer bottle or 2 to get the black sand and gold outta the pan. You will not regret it. Look in areas that have higher concentration of gold like a bend in the creek or where large rocks are present.

OP
OP
N

newgoldfinder

Dec 19, 2013
Adams County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's where I look because there is a large amount of sand and gravel. Yeah I got a snuffer bottle but its filled with black sand from Gettysburg that I still need to go through. Thanks for the info.

z.daniel88

Feb 17, 2012
Richmond IN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's where I look because there is a large amount of sand and gravel. Yeah I got a snuffer bottle but its filled with black sand from Gettysburg that I still need to go through. Thanks for the info.

sometimes there is just too much overburden...look for areas that has gravel on top of clay or bedrock. I only find gold that has gravel on clay..

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even tiny, tiny gold likes to stay put. It will not wash all over the place like mica or other less dense material, unless you get crazy with your pan.

z.daniel88

Feb 17, 2012
Richmond IN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even tiny, tiny gold likes to stay put. It will not wash all over the place like mica or other less dense material, unless you get crazy with your pan.
Been tryin to tell my brother that for years...always panning like an old fart. You have to move material if you want more gold. I told him if he thinks im losing gold then he can have my tailings. lol (I have NEVER found gold in my tailings when i strictly pan). Im a firm believer in classifying to a 1/4 inch then pan my material or run in through the sluice box. Good Classification will get you the gold.

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am not far from you ,and there is gold right where you are talking, not a lot but you will get color,maybe if you would like we could hook up in the near future and do a lil prosecting, ive wanted to make a vid from pa,there are not many out there,and i would like to show what can come from an 8 hr day here in pa.there is debate on the source of the gold in that paticular area,everyone likes to say its all glacial, some say its weathering out of the diabase that outcrops in the region, ive been on many of those streams , and what ive found is that some are barren,even moving lots of material , and some have consistent small gold,i am inclined to lean towards it is native, only because,there are gold bearing streams,draining the same valleys along with streams that are completely barren. hit me back if interested,would like to get out with some fellow tnetters, i am an hour away, towards huntingdon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread