Goldsnare SGS-1 River prospecting Trip

Sluicedog

Jul 5, 2007
CT
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Garrett Gold Stinger, Garrett XL500 Pulse, 2" Sub-Dredge,Goldsnare SGS-1, ELF detector, MFD w/electronic detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was a great one week trip to NH. My Grandson and I spent long hours on the Wild Ammomoosuc River near Bath, NH. The Grandson used the Goldsnare SGS-1 12 volt submersible dredge. I used my DIY sub-dredge(Gould Bazooka type).

The SGS-1 worked great all day on a Diehard car battery. The dredge has an on/off switch for idle times. The grandson cleaned out the unit about every 30 minutes(2 min job). He sucked up material >3/4". He got very very fine gold, little purple garnets, electrum and some square garnets. The SGS-1 got the black sand too.

My 2" sub dredge has an internal classifier of 1/8", so I got the fine gold, very small garnets and electrum.

The river did not have an explosive spring run-off: to break up, churn and redeposit the larger gold this year. The river had spartan float gold to give up. Two days were a bust. Many in our club group at the end on the day had empty pans to deal with.

Back to the Goldsnare SGS-1: Great unit, very fast set-up, lightweight, has very good suction, easy clean out, wide range of gold capture....and best of all-Grabs the really fine gold! Goldsnare SGS-1 -(1).JPGGoldsnare  SGS-1-(2).JPGGoldsnare SGS-1 (3).JPG
Pics show the rocky river and float gold areas and clay bank area

Sounds like a cool tool. Quiet and low profile too, I like!

The SGS-1 only needs about 4" of water...more is better. It is extremely quiet,,you can hear the motor just barely if you are next to it, normally you just hear the stream. It breaks down easily into three pieces- fits in a 5 gal pail or small rucksack on your back. Your are not going to suck up bowling balls with this thing, however rocks 3/4" get sucked up. The suction for this small infinity jet dredge is amazing. Remember underwater dredges need less power to do the same work as a surface dredge. Plus, NO VERY FINE GOLD is lost at the air/water interface as surface dredges and high bankers. Its a fun addition when you what to travel light and get the gold.

Sounds like you and your Grandson had a great time! I'm soooo jealous!!

Thank you for the real-world review of the Goldsnare; I've been looking at that unit and it's great when another Treasurenet member provides real, un-biased feedback on a piece of equipment.

(Hey Kevin, I bet that Goldsnare would do a better job than my homemade sucker tube... I might have found my next piece of prospecting equipment...)

- Brian

MY DIY small electric underwater dredge has much lower suction than the SGS-1. My single jet inside has less power than the SGS-1. I had made this a few years ago and the Grandson used it many days in row. He got some gold. Once he tried the SGS-1...he said my design really didn't suck as well as the SGS-1. I'll go with a really unbiased review" My design, well doesn't suck like the SGS-1"-the GrandsonElectric Dredge 003.jpg

I've been looking at building one for Lake Superior scuba prospecting.

How well does the sluice hold material when it gets bumped around in the water?

I think it would do well underwater if you add some tube spaghetti as a float to keep it level. You should also contact
[h=5]Timberdoodle for the last word....he invented and built it.[/h]

Already talked with him. Just wanted a user's opinion. I've thought about adding a cap for the backside when ascending to the surface.

I've not used the Goldsnare below 4 feet and only resting on flat bottom. I am an experienced scuba diver. Currents and accent would suggest a cap to be added to the rear. I would make a cap that is attached with super magnets. Positive seal with no fumbling underwater. Maybe a soft rubber plug on an attached lanyard (KISS).

A spaghetti noodle pool foam float attached could keep the Goldsnare level (Dragon underwater gold dredge on Bering Sea Gold) during accent as well. I've used the foam float on one of my underwater designs and it works well.

The Goldsnare is very easy to use and I think it will be going to more places than Timberdoodle envisioned. Set up is so fast, clean up is very fast as well. We used a full size car battery for the all day dredging, but a small 12 volt tractor or motorcycle battery would be great for quick sampling of that deep hole you always wondered about.

I know Rob from being in the same. Gold prospecting club. I know he has put in many hours. Getting the gold snare to be the best it can be. Also has put in many hours of research. I believe he would strongly stand behind anything he sells. And for what its designed for works very well. If I got out prospecting more I would buy one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back