Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are a couple that are slightly cheaper but if I were you and can afford it, spend the extra for a good name brand with support and has a good track record.

mudd punk

May 4, 2009
Sacramento ca.
Detector(s) used
CTX 30/30,Whites v3i, Garrett pinpointer, garrett pinpointer AT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you wait a couple of weeks the new Garrett is going to come out and you can probably get a good used one for a song and dance. Good luck it's good to see you folks getting involved with the hobby![emoji106]

DFXDon

Aug 27, 2007
West St. Paul Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision V3i, GMT, and X-Terra 705, Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonathn
Both the Garrett and Whites TRX are great pointers But if you want a CHEEP pointer Harbor Freight sells a Hand held for around 15.00 and I works Fairly well it is cheeper built but if not abused it will do you will in finding your targets.
Good hunting and may your finds be keepers

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too wanted to save some money and bought the $15 harbor freight model. It's kind of useful and I used it at first, but found it was still faster/more reliable to put clumps of soil by the coil to pinpoint and it started to mostly stay in my pouch. You push the button and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Spend a lot of time hunting around with it not finding the target, stand up and pin point again and repeat.

Fast forward a year, I finally purchased the Garrett pro pointer. Now it's like I'm digging with my eyes open for the first time. Very rarely do I need to standup and pinpoint again.

I recommend saving the money and getting the good one. If it means waiting for a birthday, shoveling driveways or cutting grass, do what it takes. A good pin pointer is a game changer!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
definately spend the money, a pinpointer is one of the most important tools you can use.

the Nokta Pointer is now being sold thru Kellyco for around $118 plus $5 shipping - cheaper than Garrett's new waterproof probe,
but you get much more - watch the videos now, read up on it in this forum, wait as folks start using this very new product and see
what they think. I'm buying one anyway. GL and HH :icon_thumright:

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the detectnix x pointer- 80 bucks- works great. on youtube. It's pulse so it doesn't false like some of the dearer options.

OP
OP
J

jonathan_174

Greenie
Feb 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the bounty pin pointer , it's pretty bad but it does cut down the find time

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Fisher F-Point (same unit as the Bounty Hunter). My detector has a Sunray FX-1 which is wired to the shaft and operates like a 1" coil - the best pinpointer - but the F-Point is still on my belt as a backup and is fast and handy for shallow targets. Inexpensive (relatively, especially when "free" as part of a package deal) and submersible.

KBookerT

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Better to spend the money upfront than buy a cheap one, not be happy with it then buy the good one. That's what I ended up doing. The Pro Pointer is worth every penny to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread