Good Book on Gold Mining?

Mattmcc804

Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, first post on the forum just joined today. I'm looking for a good book that can teach me a little bit about gold mining, mainly placer mining. (don't know if I said that right) I'm only 17 and my dream is to make a living gold mining one day, I know its probably a little unrealistic but life's no fun if you don't chase your dreams. I am soon going to be attending school for diesel/industrial tech, I imagine that will be helpful in a gold mining career as I will learn to work on the machines ill be using. I'm looking for a book that can teach me about wash plants, how to find good ground, stuff like how your sluice should be set up, etc. I'm not interested in anything about weekend panning trips on a river, that's the only kind of book I've been able to find. I saw that book called THE GOLD MINERS BOOK that's about 1800 pages but I don't believe it is available. Is there anything else like it?
Alternatively if you know of anyway I can learn about gold mining please let me know. I have heard of the schools for mining but know nothing of them.

-Matt McCormack

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fists Full Of Gold, by Chris Ralph Goldstone Publishing ISBN 978-0-9842692-0-4

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome, you know i asked the very same questions years ago, and i have come to find that there is no one book.first i would recomend you learn all you can about geology, how gold is deposited,you will soon find that this is a process that will go on for the rest of your life,i know you said you want to placer mine, but first you must understand what processes take place to consentrate gold.gold is social animal and doesnt travel alone,meaning that you are not going to find by itself,and as rare as it is you will likely find associtave minerals befor you find the gold, when you find these ,it dosent mean there is gold, but rather gold COULD be present. then you must understand how gold weathers out of these deposits, there is so much to learn, but as prospector , i would say go for it ,but i feel obligated to tell most who try fail. and its been my experience that the the ones who succeed only do so because they didnt let their early failures deter them, best of luck.

Timmy Tom

Aug 14, 2012
I would take geology. Why. Because the hunt for rare earth minerals, oil and natural gas is a must. Plus you will get your hands on every rock sample where you work. Then you can take notes and travel with the larger corporations to different areas. I think there is a lot of gold still trapped in the crust of the earth. Oh. Diamonds too.

TT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread