Good day at the bank !

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
took my metal detector down to the old river bank and had a great time,both detecting finds and sight find's were there.ice in river did a great job clearing the bank for me to look.here's a nice clay pipe intact just laying along the top of the bank.man,what a feeling.the lock was also a sight find.as i was walking along the top of the bank, i was looking down and saw the lock sticking out the side of the bank in exactly where i found a eagle militia belt plate a few weeks ago.always look for the green patina from metal objects !i also found some early fishing weights and some other things i will show later.

Attachments

• DSCN5462.JPG
    DSCN5462.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 1,943
OP
OP
pigeonman

pigeonman

Jan 29, 2008
Salem NJ
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NEXT

Attachments

• DSCN5467.JPG
    DSCN5467.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 1,940

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great great finds.....I really like the old pipe.....nothing like it in Korea. We do find old cigarette holders, but we are using the detectors when we do. We do find a lot of pottery and have found several 100% bowls.....digging where we got a coin sound, and out pops the pottery. And, I have found 2 complete bowls because someone put a coin in the bowl.....I got the sound of the coin, and found the bowl, as well.
If I get to the States while I am still able to walk river banks, I hope to do it......sounds like fun.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
I have found 2 complete bowls because someone put a coin in the bowl.....I got the sound of the coin, and found the bowl, as well.
Do you think someone buried both in some kind of ceremony? What were the coin dates?

I find Korean coins also but I am in So CA. Neighbors on both sides of me are Korean. My daughter is in high school and when they have awards ceremony I loose track of the number of Kims and Lees that go up to get awards. ;D (my daughter goes up too)

I have been to Japan many times but didn't bring my XLT. I think I will next time. (half my family is Japanese, even thought about opening an English language school there but the economy isn't good enough)

How is your school going?

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
That clay pipe is beautiful and love the padlock too! Congrats on some very nice finds!

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
hikeinmts said:
I have found 2 complete bowls because someone put a coin in the bowl.....I got the sound of the coin, and found the bowl, as well.
Do you think someone buried both in some kind of ceremony? What were the coin dates?

I find Korean coins also but I am in So CA. Neighbors on both sides of me are Korean. My daughter is in high school and when they have awards ceremony I loose track of the number of Kims and Lees that go up to get awards. ;D (my daughter goes up too)

I have been to Japan many times but didn't bring my XLT. I think I will next time. (half my family is Japanese, even thought about opening an English language school there but the economy isn't good enough)

How is your school going?
Hey CyberDan, Good to hear from you.
I really can't comment on Japan, as I have never lived there, studied their culture, etc. My second son is there, and so I will be making a few more trips there, and hopefully being able to do some kind of metal detecting there. But, the Japanese culture is much much more structured then the Korean culture, and whether they will allow someone going up into their mts and digging holes, of that I am not certain. I think I would try it at the beach first, and try to gauge local population reaction. Also, I am completely unfamiliar with their maps, terrain, etc. So, it would take a lot of studying before I would go up into their hills/mts. Now, I do think that there is a strong possiblity that for the same reasons that Koreans put coins in the mts/hills, that the Japanese could possibly have done the same thing. Yes, it was a religious/good luck kind of thing. But, almost zero percent of the population believe in it anymore. And, in Korea, almost all the activity in the hills/mts has ceased - even since I have been hiking. First going there in the early 80's the hills were alive with people....gathering wood, some types of mushrooms, and other foods. Now, with the introduction of the car into their society, when I am in the mts I see almost noone. There are many mts famous for hiking....and the Koreans go there by the millions. But, they don't go out into the more common hills/mts, and that is where I go.
As far as the school goes, I cannot comment on it, as I have no frame of reference. Myself and wife do okay.....nothing spectacular. But ours is a type of ministry, so we are not trying to become wealthy, just to help the Korean folk.
Good to talk to you. If you get to Japan, and can spare a couple of extra dollars and the time to come across to Korea, let me know. Be glad to head up into the hills with you, and maybe find a few coins. God bless. hillhiker

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
the Japanese culture is much much more structured then the Korean culture, and whether they will allow someone going up into their mts and digging holes, of that I am not certain.
Yes, they have rules about rules.

hikeinmts said:
Also, I am completely unfamiliar with their maps, terrain, etc. So, it would take a lot of studying before I would go up into their hills/mts.
North Japan is like Idaho. In the middle (where my wife is from) near Mt Fuji is like like northern California, it is wine country in my wifes town. and way down south in Okinawa it is tropical like Hawaii

hikeinmts said:
Now, I do think that there is a strong possiblity that for the same reasons that Koreans put coins in the mts/hills, that the Japanese could possibly have done the same thing. Yes, it was a religious/good luck kind of thing.
The Japanese are coin throwers for religious and good luck. Might be hard to get permission at a temple though.

hikeinmts said:
As far as the school goes, I cannot comment on it, as I have no frame of reference. Myself and wife do okay.....nothing spectacular.
As long as it pays the bills sounds like you are doing Ok. :thumbsup:
My sisters brother in law lives in Koyoto (I think) He is from Wisconson. He has an English school over there or did have. Not sure now with the economy.

hikeinmts said:
If you get to Japan, and can spare a couple of extra dollars and the time to come across to Korea, let me know. Be glad to head up into the hills with you, and maybe find a few coins.
Thanks for the invite but right now can't even afford a trip out of state. My daughter starts college next year and already costing me $$$

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread