What's new

good entry detector for river banks and stream beds?

csturtz

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 30, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I'm looking to buy my first metal detector and plan on hunting a lot of river banks and along-side streams (Missouri). I'm looking for something <$300 to get started. I'd really prefer something good all-around so it does well on some farms I have access to, but I didn't know if wanting to hint those river/stream locations would limit my choices.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
The $300.00 limits what you want to buy, I'd say save up some more money and get yourself an AT Pro, I don't have one but for what you said you want to do this would be your best bet. I think they are around 600 to 700 new (I could be wrong). It is water proof and has a screen to tell you what the target should be and the depth, from what I hear its a good all round detector. I just don't think you'll find anything cheaper, except a used one on eBay
 
Save up and get an AT-Pro. $300 won't get you anything suitable for your needs.
 
I would say a AT PRO also.
Save up a little more and you can even go in the water with it.
 
there are a few in your price range but nothing waterproof...
The coils are water proof but the control box is not...
There are true water proof detectors but like others have stated they are about twice your budget.
I don't have one but just like the others, I hear the at pro is a good choice for fresh water...
 
If you are NOT going to get the head wet get a tesoro. I found a lot with mine . I have since bought an atpro. But to date found more with the tesoro. Water drops I hope that changes. Good luck and let us know how you do.
 
AT Pro! Look on craigslist, thats where I bought mine last October. It was less than a month old, he had the receipt to prove it and I bought it for $380.
 
Thanks everyone for your help. I was wondering though about the Fisher F2. I've read posts from a few people indicating it does well on land and around water? Any thoughts?

Thanks again!
 
Years ago I went into Radio Shack and I purchased a Discovery 2000 with 8" coil and had them order me a 4" coil, which arrived fairly soon. I hunted a lot of freshwater environments with it, including rivers where the 4" coil proved to be a real plus around the rocks, etc. Honestly, for the money, the thing did pretty well to about 8 or 9 inches on coins and around 6"-7" on an average sized man's 14k yellow gold band. For the money (about $199.00 at the time plus the extra coil, another $45 or so, and headphones, another $30 = $274.00) the machine more then paid for itself and performed at a pretty good entry level. I kept the thing for several years as a backup or for whenever I wanted to use the 4" coil. But it is basically a Bounty Hunter and it is an entry level machine.
 
I remember back as a kid ... The 'ol man had the top of the line Garrett ... Santy Clause brought me 'ol blue ... It was really old school bounty hunter, blue in color. Control box the size of a shoe box... I ran circles around the 'ol mans Garrett with it... Point: You can have the best machine money can buy, at the end of the day, it, and the cheapest, do the exact same thing ... Machines crosses metal, machine go beep.

Happy Hunting & a Safe 4th!
 
Basically you can use any metal detector in the water- up to the control box, but if you slip on a rock and the detector goes under, there goes your investment, that's why a lot if us are recommending the AT pro, not because its better than brand x,its because of it's all terrain capably.

The f-2 in my book is nothing more than a bounty hunter with a different name on it, correct my if I'm wrong, I think they are owned by the same company.
I bought one for my nine year old and sold it about 4 months later, he lost interest in it, but it wasn't built to bad and the vdi numbers where just about the same as my v3i which I liked cause if he learn that one, someday I could have given him mine and he would have had a lesser learning curve.
 
Hi,

I have been diving rivers with a Whites Surf Master II since 1993 and I still own and use my original detector. I understand that White's stopped making them several years ago but they can still be found on craigslist and in the used/for sale sections of most detecting forums. The factory set up came with a land handle and you could purchase also a short diving handle. I have used mine with great success on land and in the water. To quote DewGuru "if machines crosses metal, machine beeps" is so true, all the technology does not matter if there is nothing in the ground to be recovered. My detector new in 1993 cost $599.00 and it has paid for itself many times over. A used one should be 1/2 to 1/4th the original price.

That is my 2 cents worth, good luck and HH.
 
Check out a guy called "Aquachigger" on youtube Beau Ouimette - YouTube He uses an AT Pro to great effect in the rivers. Also, for Craigslist ads, check out something called Search Tempest. It lets you search multiple craigslists at the same time.
 
As others say id also go with the pro but while ur saving up check into some used machines if ur planning on only goin knee high or so just about all would do most machines r waterproof up to the power Box
 
Garrett Ace 250. For a low budget detector ($225.00) with a lot of features including great depth and sensitivity. I have dropped it in the river taken it home took it apart blow dryed it on low heat and she was fine. This has happened a couple of times and she never failed me! I have found many beautiful items in the river. C my profile and finds. At least 50% found with Ace
 
I do very well hunting the creeks and rivers of Missouri with a Fishers 1280-X. I would recommend the 8 inch coil as it is easier to get around the larger rocks in the streams. The machine can also be used to land detect and can be configured to chest or waist. I use mine every year in the competition hunts in Sapulpa OK and do very well there also. The machine is a VLF machine and has discrimination so you can tune out the junk and iron.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom