Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this morning at 8am I meet up with Goio, McEtrac, Rootmaster, & Tmanfromtexas in an old Chicago park for a 7 hour hunt. Man was it cold, I was the only one in our group not wearing a Carheart body suit!!! We all had some great finds. In about 10 min into the hunt I got a shallow 2 inch nickel signal. I figured it would be a modern Jefferson but when I pulled it out of the ground I was rewarded with my oldest dug coin so far!!! It was an 1893 V-Nickel!!! All season I was lookin for one and I just got my first last Sunday, now I have 2!!! Later I got a high deep coin signal at about 7 or 8 inches. I thought it was gonna be a silver dime but when I retrieved my target I was pleasantly surprised to find an old thimble. I wiped the dirt off of it and I knew it had to be silver!!! Once I got home I cleaned out the inside and at the bottom I found that it was in fact silver, it is stamped with STERLING. I weighed it and it is 2 grams. I also got an iffy signal by an old tree, when I dug my plug it disappeared. I checked the the hole's walls with my pinpointer and it knocked some dirt loose and out popped an old marble that was about 5 or 6 inches down. So I was happy that I didn't waist my efforts for nothing. Here is the rest of my finds, not including the 2 full pouches of canslaw and wine caps... >:(

Thanks Goio, McEtrac, & T-Man for letting me and Rootmaster tag along!!! :thumbsup:

3036026157_febb751ee0_o.jpg

LOL - I didn't know Ms. Liberty had a mustache... :icon_scratch:
3036026143_efc9c479cc_o.jpg

3036026135_557bf80b6f_o.jpg

3036026115_2dd3d3322b.jpg

3036026123_32a51143c9.jpg

Upvote 0

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Holy Schnapp!!!!!.....A Washington Arsenal Thimble!!!! :thumbsup: Congrat's on your Oldest,still looking for my first....

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great finds TF the thimble is pretty cool. Seeing the deer was cool too, very good video

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Superb, Fiend!! Gorgeous Merc & nice thimble! Congrats on the V & on it being your oldest!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the great video. Looks like a great hunt - a group of guys out enjoying hunting together!! A successful day even if no one found anything!. Goio, it was weird to see you having a clad day - :icon_scratch: - but it was good that you had fun!!

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!! :thumbsup:

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW ~ that's awesome! That was a cool video! All you guys did great! That's exciting! WOOHOOO!!!!!!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice digs...I love that thimble. Congrats on all the finds. jgas

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
I saw your vid on youtube. Nice!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That's my kind of park you hunt over there. Injuns, Barbers, mercs, V's....Awesome!!

Congrats on your finds. I like that silver thimble!! :thumbsup:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Sounds like you had an awesome weekend as well! Keep up the hunting! :thumbsup: Nice job on your oldest V nickle :thumbsup:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Sweet "v" too ... The rare groucho marx variety ... ;D

Nick's correct - Lady Liberty was clean shaven on all dates except 1893 ;D

WTG on the V...you dug one of my "wish list" coins :thumbsup:

Nat

bilt46

Oct 11, 2008
around town
Detector(s) used
CZ5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Thimble.. I walked about 3 miles and found nothing,rushed home early to watch a lousy f-ball game.GLAD YOU GUYS HAD FUN.. BillT

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
Good job on the V nickel. Only you would have dug that! Remember what I said about digging nickels? Yeah, they may not be shiny or sharp, but look, you got yourself your oldest dug coin, and I'll bet many went over it. I'm not saying I would have dug it, because I probably wouldn't have, lol.

We gotta get back there, I've got a date with some silver coins there that have eluded me. Last time I spent God knows how many hours there and came out with two wheats and some clad.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread