good online resource for information hunting re:ww2

summoner

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2011
Good morning from Aussie land,

I am wondering if there are some good online resources where I am able to look up the history of ww2 soldiers? In particular my Opa served in the Austrian army during ww2 and I am wondering if there is anywhere I can find out more from any possible records migrated to the online realm. I am also hitting up 1 of my uncles for information but he doesn't use email so I have to wait until my next trip back to the fatherland in a few months before I can do that. I do have 1 picture of him and from what I can gather he was just a normal soldier but family stories are that he was injured in combat somewhere and during his recovery in his home village he was able to defend it from a group of partisans which came across from Slovenia (village is on the border). I have included the picture incase any aficionados are able to tell me information from it, unfortunately it is not the most detailed of pics but I gather it is from his beginnings as a soldier (I could be wrong, another query I need to make with my uncle).

My%20opa.jpg

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
summoner said:
Good morning from Aussie land,

I am wondering if there are some good online resources where I am able to look up the history of ww2 soldiers? In particular my Opa served in the Austrian army during ww2 and I am wondering if there is anywhere I can find out more from any possible records migrated to the online realm. I am also hitting up 1 of my uncles for information but he doesn't use email so I have to wait until my next trip back to the fatherland in a few months before I can do that. I do have 1 picture of him and from what I can gather he was just a normal soldier but family stories are that he was injured in combat somewhere and during his recovery in his home village he was able to defend it from a group of partisans which came across from Slovenia (village is on the border). I have included the picture incase any aficionados are able to tell me information from it, unfortunately it is not the most detailed of pics but I gather it is from his beginnings as a soldier (I could be wrong, another query I need to make with my uncle).

My%20opa.jpg

That's an INCREDIBLE photo of your Grandfather summoner. My Omi was in Berlin while we (the U.S.) were bombing it. She barely got out alive with my Greatgrandmother, my Opa (Grandfather) on my father's side was a SeaWolf U-Boat Captain in the German Army. He went down with his ship in the mid-Atlantic somewhere. I encourage you to search the Arhives of Austria, they will definitely have his Muster roll and enlistment paperwork on file at the national archives their I would think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread