Good place for gold?

Oatman174500

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2024
Here is a video of where I am currently looking for gold. I am not an experienced gold hunter I have just started about a month ago.
I am digging behind the big rock sticking out of the water where the water slows down. I have dug down around one foot.
Do I need to dig deeper?
Should I look in another spot?
Any help would be welcome
thanks
Below is a link to the video please let me know if it cannot be seen.

Upvote 1
Here is a video of where I am currently looking for gold. I am not an experienced gold hunter I have just started about a month ago.
I am digging behind the big rock sticking out of the water where the water slows down. I have dug down around one foot.
Do I need to dig deeper?
Should I look in another spot?
Any help would be welcome
thanks
Below is a link to the video please let me know if it cannot be seen.

Jump on google earth, take a screen shot of the river or creek your prospecting. Iā€™d be happy to look it over and tell you where Iā€™d dig.

Apparently, your video is not available.

Untitled.jpg

Jump on google earth, take a screen shot of the river or creek your prospecting. Iā€™d be happy to look it over and tell you where Iā€™d dig.
Thank you for getting back to me. I can use all the hep that I can.
Here is a picture of where I am currently looking. I was digging behind the big rock on the right hand side
Right before the big rock the water slows down quite a bit.
If I need a better picture let me know and I will try to get one.
Any help will be welcome
thanks

Attachments

• Gold.jpg
    Gold.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 26
Thank you for getting back to me. I can use all the hep that I can.
Here is a picture of where I am currently looking. I was digging behind the big rock on the right hand side
Right before the big rock the water slows down quite a bit.
If I need a better picture let me know and I will try to get one.
Any help will be welcome
thanks

The big rock on the right may be a good place if the gold is large and heavy. These are the places I would gravitate to if I was prospecting that spot.

Zoom out on your location and give us a larger view of the river. This area looks pretty good but there may be a better spot up or down stream.

Attachments

• 618047B4-2F59-420E-9171-C8E3759F4C1B.jpeg
    618047B4-2F59-420E-9171-C8E3759F4C1B.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 13
The big rock on the right may be a good place if the gold is large and heavy. These are the places I would gravitate to if I was prospecting that spot.

Zoom out on your location and give us a larger view of the river. This area looks pretty good but there may be a better spot up or down stream.
Thanks again for the quick reply
Here is a zoom out picture.
Hope it is ok for you to make suggestions
thanks

Attachments

• River Picture.jpg
    River Picture.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 24
Thanks again for the quick reply
Here is a zoom out picture.
Hope it is ok for you to make suggestions
thanks

I donā€™t see anything in this zoomed out photo Iā€™d prospect before the spots I marked in the other photo.

A few things to know. The size of gold in your area. Fine gold acts a bit differently than the chunky corse stuff. I donā€™t personally dig more than a few pans in one hole unless is producing some color. (Everything here is tiny). Donā€™t waste your time digging a deep hole if itā€™s not showing color or at least indicator minerals. Spend your time moving around until you find a good reason to dig in the same hole. Prospecting is the act of looking for the deposit. It can take months / years to find a good place so donā€™t be afraid to poke around.

Where are you located? Is there gold known to be in that river or at least local?

I donā€™t see anything in this zoomed out photo Iā€™d prospect before the spots I marked in the other photo.

A few things to know. The size of gold in your area. Fine gold acts a bit differently than the chunky corse stuff. I donā€™t personally dig more than a few pans in one hole unless is producing some color. (Everything here is tiny). Donā€™t waste your time digging a deep hole if itā€™s not showing color or at least indicator minerals. Spend your time moving around until you find a good reason to dig in the same hole. Prospecting is the act of looking for the deposit. It can take months / years to find a good place so donā€™t be afraid to poke around.

Where are you located? Is there gold known to be in that river or at least local?
Thank you again for your help, i will try in the areas that you marked
I am in the Lehigh Valley area in Pa.
I am not sure if any gold was found in this river but I know that up in Wind Gap about 15 or so miles away they did find some gold in the past in their rivers and streams.
I will get out again in a few days to try some of the spots you marked and I will let you know how I made out
thanks again
Ken

Ken, assuming that the top of the map is north, then there is also a sandbar located on a right hand curve just a bit to the south, or downriver. Also, if you can safely access them, I'd definitely be checking material from any cracks or collected soil/gravel on those rocks out in the middle.

Good luck in your prospecting... :occasion14:

Ken, assuming that the top of the map is north, then there is also a sandbar located on a right hand curve just a bit to the south, or downriver. Also, if you can safely access them, I'd definitely be checking material from any cracks or collected soil/gravel on those rocks out in the middle.

Good luck in your prospecting... :occasion14:
Thanks for all your help. I will let you know how I make out
Ken

Ken. Since you are new to it you should dig where you think it will be and use all advice given by the experienced miners above. If you adopt the attitude that every pan is just a test pan you will keep your excitement when you get color and just shrug it off when you don't. Gold is where you find it and always question why you found what you did where you did. Good Luck and Stay Safe.
GM

Ken. Since you are new to it you should dig where you think it will be and use all advice given by the experienced miners above. If you adopt the attitude that every pan is just a test pan you will keep your excitement when you get color and just shrug it off when you don't. Gold is where you find it and always question why you found what you did where you did. Good Luck and Stay Safe.
GM
This is some great advice that I'm taking with me on my first real trip. I'm itching to get out there so bad. Does anyone feel like others around you if any, will think your odd or crazy? I don't usually care about what others think, but for some reason if someone sees me by the side of a creek with a gold pan it gives me anxiety lol. Did or does anyone feel this way? I need to get over this. Years ago I was in Tenesse and we passed by a creek and stopped the car. I looked around and didn't see anyone. I ran down to the creek and quickly scooped up some material on a sandbar. When I got home to Pittsburgh and panned it I found 2 small gold flakes! I seriously couldn't believe it, and I wasn't so nervous or in a rush I could of comfortably stayed and found more.

This is some great advice that I'm taking with me on my first real trip. I'm itching to get out there so bad. Does anyone feel like others around you if any, will think your odd or crazy? I don't usually care about what others think, but for some reason if someone sees me by the side of a creek with a gold pan it gives me anxiety lol. Did or does anyone feel this way? I need to get over this. Years ago I was in Tenesse and we passed by a creek and stopped the car. I looked around and didn't see anyone. I ran down to the creek and quickly scooped up some material on a sandbar. When I got home to Pittsburgh and panned it I found 2 small gold flakes! I seriously couldn't believe it, and I wasn't so nervous or in a rush I could of comfortably stayed and found more.
Oh and there was also black sand and many tiny red pretty stones. I think they were garnets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back