Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Out exploring on my 1982 Honda XL 200r and came across this up in the Piute mountain ca -- hope no one was inside when this happened.
121.JPG
122.JPG
123.JPG

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I wouldn't want to be in there when that happened!!!

I've been in a couple coal mines like that. As a teen we thought we were going to explore one. I was after a cart and "train"! after crawling through a hole I could barely get through at the newly dug open "entrance", I made it in about 20 to 30 ft and realized I was walking on what use to be the ceiling. That was enough for me! I went back out...

Another was just a Vein(?) mine, that's what I was told anyhow.... just about 3 ft tall and they picked the coal out, little short rooms. I made it in far enough to look around and that was spooky, you couldn't stand up straight in it.

In both of those, the shale(?), clay mix kind of stuff. was saturated with water and was very unstable, you could pick pieces off in small sheets, it was real loose!!! Those mines closed around 1920 and had been blown shut. But........."some kids"..decided to dig them back open...Looking for the mine coal or small steam train and carts that my grandfather claimed he saw in there as a kid. I wanted it real bad after he told me about it being in there.:laughing7: I should look that up and even see if there is even such a thing. haha Grandpa was pretty straight forward and didn't tell too many stories...but...

That was in the mid to late 90's....Since we were in there, they have collapsed under an interstate (interstate 77) and some of the side roads around them. A house even partly fell in one, in that neighborhood (N. Canton Oh) yards and house's occasionally collapse.

You could not pay me enough to go in one of those holes today! Glad I did though! It was cool to see...But...not today!

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to metal detect around it though.

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet bike! I had a 80 xl250 that looked similar, I loved that bike..

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
It is sweet to dance to violins..it is delicate and rare,to dance to lutes and dance to flutes is way beyond compare,but it is not sweet with nimble feet to dance upon the air..from the Ballad of Reading Gaol by Oscar Wilde...the
last sound you will ever here are your own screams as you tumble into eternity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bodfish Mike

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet bike! I had a 80 xl250 that looked similar, I loved that bike..

Actually it's a 1983 the first year of the mono shock -- I love Honda's and love this bike put a bigger than stock back sprocket on if and it puts around nice and slow in 1st gear. I also have an 1978 xl 125, 1980 xr 80 and three 50's from the 60's and an nx 250 ( my around town street bike)
and I just acquire another xl 200r to restore so anyone who visits me gets to ride

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions