Good Road trip finds

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Finding my first Barber motivated me to do a short road trip.

First stop was a branch of the Credit Union I work for. They only had $66.50 in the counting machine and I bought the bag. Good results: 1 1942 Walker, 1x64, 1x64-D, 1x65, 1x66, 1x67, 2x69-D, and a gold plated 83-P counterpunched 1960-1980. The bag only had $64.50 plus 2xcar wash tokens, 1 Indian Trading Post Lucky token, and a $2 Canadian coin.

26JUN08_Bag_1_Total.jpg

Next stop had $450 in rolls. $400 worth were machine rolled on one end and folded down on the other, I suspected someones dumps. Only 1 67 in them. The other 5 rolls were unopened. 3 were skunks, one had a 1940 Walker, a 1961-D Franklin, and a 1966. The last one had 1 1944 Walker, a 68-D and a 69-D.

26JUN08_Bag_2_Total.jpg

Last stop for yesterday was a branch of my buy bank. I've been to 10 branches of this bank and they have all sold me partial bags, including this one. This time the teller says they can't sell bags until their full. I told her they had sold them to my in the past but she still said no. I asked how much was in the bag and she said a little over $200. Today I went back with $400 in dumps and made sure I went to the same teller I talked to yesterday. I said "I'll cash these in and buy the full bag.". She asked me if the bag was all halves and looked in the bag. I don't think she was happy but she told me the rules yesterday so she ran the halves and sold me the bag. The bag was $4 short but had 5x64-D, 1x66, 2x67, 1x68-D, and a 1x05-P. It also included a drink chip and an interesting 1937 Centennial medal from Dyersville, IA. I can't find any info on it on the net. Anybody from the area know anything about it?

1937_Dyersville_Medal.jpg

26JUN08_Bag_4_Total.jpg

The last bag came from the bank that ordered me my extra boxes this week. The teller that orders my coins is really nice and called me to let me know their counter bag had $391 in it. I took in enough to fill it and buy it. The bag count was right on and had 2x67, 2x68-D, 1x71-S Proof, and 3x07-D. It also had $15.42 in misc change. It also had a coin that a guy engraved his name onto. I found one of his coins in March of last year and compared this one to my picture of the other one I found. Not exactly the same so I didn't get the first one back again, but interesting to find another one. I wonder how many he engraved?

26JUN08_Bag_3_Total.jpg

Not as good as the full rolls people have been finding recently, but one of my best 2 day totals.

Upvote 0
Thanks everybody. I do live in Southern WI 50centman. The Wonder Wash tokens used to be good finds because they were good for a $9 car wash. All the Wonder Washes were bought out around me so now they are worth nothing.

I tried it and they said no. I've still got 6 of them. I would have used them faster if I had known they were going to become no good.

Where in S Wi.....just so i know where not to bother hunting.....i guess theres a waiting list at a bank near me......lol

I almost always do better with road trips than boxes packerbacker. alpha105, I basically hunt the SW 1/4 of the state. I make it over to Madison on rare occasions but have only been to maybe 8-10 banks there. I know there are allot more than that. I've never hunted in Milwaukee or that general area. I haven't had anyone tell me they had a waiting list for halves. What general area are you hunting in?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back