What's new

Google Earth and Detecting

Melissa Archibald

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2014
Messages
60
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sort of wondering if someone can possibly use Google Earth the paid version or even the free version for that matter and sort of scan an area first then go out if anything is above ground you should be able to spot it. Within time I bet you we'll be able to use Google Earth or something similar to detect things underground.
 
use the free version to look for unusual features of a parcel. also look at elevation as you hover the mouse, a great area may be a steep cliff!!!. use your county GIS map web site ( format should be: gis.co.your county.your state.us) that all states have to get size of parcel, property lines, date built, owner name and address. aerial view leaves on and off, but infrared view will possibly show anomalies like ruins and foundations. when you arrive on site you will know what to ask the owner and have a good idea where to look. winter months are only good for research building your list for spring hunting
 
I am sort of wondering if someone can possibly use Google Earth the paid version or even the free version for that matter and sort of scan an area first then go out if anything is above ground you should be able to spot it. Within time I bet you we'll be able to use Google Earth or something similar to detect things underground.

Stick with the free Google Earth, this may be of some help also. I used to find a long gone old church. If the aerials are not available they give you dated topos, which is how I found the church. I then located it on Google Earth, which was the same, but just a current view of the property today.

NETR Online ? Historic Aerials

Happy hunting
 
I have used Free Google Earth to locate cellar holes, it works best with fall or spring imagery, no leaves makes it easier to see if anything is there. Depending on the size of the object you can find it, for example an old plow in a farm field is visible, a penny would probably not. I do not think that the Google Earth that cost money would do anything else to make it easier. I like looking at Google Earth's historical Imagery, sometimes seeing what was at a place 20 years ago helps. I do not use the paid version, only the free version.

Coinman123,
 
Ditto. I look locally (free version of Google Earth) to see if there are old foundations or interesting features nearly. A dirt road with old trees on either side that ends with just a bunch of trees could be an old homesite. Follow the local rivers, streams and creeks and you can often spot old mill sites or ferry crossings.
 
Well, since I am a cache hunter primarily, I kind of work in reverse to most.
That is I do the research, like story verification of the event, people and actual event happening first.
Then I hit the location info. Sometimes it as easy as checking a location on Earth or the GIS info.
The big problem is I don't always have an address so I have to track the people down. It gets wild sometimes like looking thru the old maps at the Library of Congress net site, or tracing from deed to deed until I hit the right one. The historic caches are the easiest because you have a location to start with. What's that old saying about what are the most important things, LOCATION,LOCATION,LOCATION?
Just some thoughts, Frank five star.webp111-1 profileblk.webp
 
Last edited:
I went on google earth to look at an old ghost town close to me , it was an aerial view , taken in the spring most of the snow was melted ,but on one block there were a bunch of round snow patches , it took me a few minutes to realize those snow patches were the depression's of long gone outhouses, needles to say my brother and I started to probe , and came out of there with about 80 bottles ,, Thanks google earth !!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom