150.9 KB · Views: 3,765

Ocaliman

Apr 21, 2006
Ocala, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
At first, I literally didn't see the forest for the trees. I was actually looking for an old Studebaker in a clump of trees, which was leading to a possible treasure site. Much to my chagrin, my 13 year old son walked into the room, looked over my shoulder and pointed out the words "Studebaker" in the trees.

At this point, I told him to go do his homework, and quit looking over my shoulder. ;)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ocaliman said:
At first, I literally didn't see the forest for the trees. I was actually looking for an old Studebaker in a clump of trees, which was leading to a possible treasure site. Much to my chagrin, my 13 year old son walked into the room, looked over my shoulder and pointed out the words "Studebaker" in the trees.

At this point, I told him to go do his homework, and quit looking over my shoulder. ;)

Thank your Son for me.

Everytime I came here I thought this is usless.
What kind of eyes could see a Studebaker at that height
in the trees :P

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
jeff of pa said:
Ocaliman said:

Thank your Son for me.

Everytime I came here I thought this is usless.
What kind of eyes could see a Studebaker at that height
in the trees :P

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! :o

Spiney Norma

Jan 5, 2007
Elkhart Indiana
Detector(s) used
One that will some day rule ze Vorld! HAHAHA!
This is Bendix Woods, St. Joseph County Indiana. Near Southbend. I drive past this everyday on my way to work. A week or so ago I swept a coil around one of the pavillions for a few mintes on a friday and came away with a 1970 dime. No biggie, but the area looks great to search. :)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
It looks to me like the "studabaker" has been photoshoped in. If you look closely enough it ruins the asthetics of the shrubs up the drive, takes out the corner of a building, cause another building to not have a driveway or any other way to get to it, and cuts into the middle of several what looks like sand traps.

Its probably just me though.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Just type in "Bendix Woods, Indiana" in the Google Earth search box and it'll take you right to it.

The following is from Wiki.

Bendix Woods is the name of a park located west of South Bend, Indiana. The park is under the control of the St. Joseph County Park and Recreation Department.

The name Bendix Woods originates from the Bendix Corporation, which donated the land to the county for the creation of a park. The park's historical significance, however, dates to its eastablishment by the Studebaker Corporation, formerly of nearby South Bend, Indiana as the first model test facility for an American automobile company.

Studebaker developed the 840 acres (3.4 km²) of land in 1926 as the first ever controlled automotive testing grounds for their product lines, beating Packard, Studebaker's future business partner, by one year. Studebaker heavily promoted the grounds as a "Million Dollar Outdoor Testing Laboratory" in advertisements. The test track that ran through the grounds simulated a variety of terrains and road conditions. Studebaker landscaped the park by keeping natural features; in 1937 the company planted more than 5,000 pine trees in a pattern that when viewed from a plane spelled STUDEBAKER.

Following the collapse of Studebaker's U.S. production facilities the land was acquired by Bendix Corporation which used the grounds for Corporate purposes.

In late December 2004, the STUDEBAKER tree planting, recognized as one of the world's largest living advertisements, was severely damaged in a Christmas week ice storm. However the sign is still evident using modern satellite technology.

glassdiver

Jan 2, 2007
The Thumb of Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's, Nautilus, Fisher, Garrett
I also see the company jet, next the the parking apron and runway, to the left of the Studebaker shrubbery. I was wondering if it was a private mansion of some rich individual, until I read the rest of the posts.
Neat.
Bill

BigRon

May 22, 2007
Richmond Texas
Detector(s) used
, BH Lone Star, BH Pinpointer, Homebuilt BFO, Index finger
Near Bastrop Texas a family has their name cut from a forest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread