What's new

Got a possible Vermont Copper

pepperj

Diamond Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
52,259
Reaction score
207,202
Golden Thread
1
Location
Eastern Ontario Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Posted this in the wrong section and now the computer isn't doing what I want and I lost the details of the hunt. So I'll try it again. Got out for a short hunt on Sunday and I think I got a Vermont Copper out of an uncut hay field between the house and the barns at a permission that has given up some nice finds last year. Haven't had time or the weather this past summer hasn't been detecting conditions because of the drought, but the recent wet weather has fixed all that and turned the soils soft again. I dug a crusty small cent and a silver washed flat button from the worked field and moved the hay field. The grass is really too high to get any small signals as the coil is the ground to the point where it's just large iron and can slaw that come through. So I was tickled to get on the first signal a nice crisp copper sound and digging out a thin copper. I think it's a Vermont Copper and digging it up here so far away from it's original home is kind of cool. :icon_thumright: P1020307.webpIMG_20161023_152023423.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 52
Awesome! Still looking for my 1st VT.
 
Thanks everyone for the kind replies, having an issue with posting off the home computer for some reason. It's cool to dig a copper as this one up here in SE Ontario. There is some history indicating that a family from VT ran the iron works in a nearby town 8.5 miles away from this site. Like to think that this might explain why the copper made it's way over to here.
 
I knew you had found something special when you first emailed me these pics buddy! :occasion14:
As I mentioned in the email, it's a good thing that you found this Vermont Copper when you did, because I don't think it would've survived another 50 years in the soil.

Hopefully we can get together for another hunt in the next couple of weeks before the snow arrives for good. :laughing7:

Dave
 

Attachments

  • P1020302-crop.webp
    P1020302-crop.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 70
  • P1020307-crop.webp
    P1020307-crop.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 66
  • P1020303-crop.webp
    P1020303-crop.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 67
Very nice old copper!!
 
I knew you had found something special when you first emailed me these pics buddy! :occasion14:
As I mentioned in the email, it's a good thing that you found this Vermont Copper when you did, because I don't think it would've survived another 50 years in the soil.

Hopefully we can get together for another hunt in the next couple of weeks before the snow arrives for good. :laughing7:

Dave

Thanks Dave, I hope that you can get the time to do a little bit of detecting when you make it down this way. If anything else you can get a bucket of iron dug from of these sites. Cool relics pop up pretty often so it's fun. Talk with you soon.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom