Got a whole lot of scrap silver - thinking of dumping it

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
But, I haven't made my mind up yet.

Over the years I picked up all kinds of silver "junk". I'm deciding as to whether to dump it to members here or just keep holding it. Really though - I got too much.

Got forks, spoons, jewelry trinkets, and many unique things.

Man, even got gold teeth :)

I expect I'll get some entertainment value out of responses here :)

Stay safe out there = it's still Deep!

Input please :)

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's more than you can carry , it might be a good time to thin the herd.
Wrangle in into something more portable maybe...(?)
That would mean keeping the gold teeth. L.o.l..

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not feeling any kinda mortal right now - it's not about that.

It's more about becoming more "compact" in my life. Just saying - the Hunt Brothers cost me a lot of money back then. But I never gave up, just kept aware - what is it? Nearly 40 years ago with the Hunt Brothers?

I was raised "junk yard". When Mom married my stepfather (circa 1963), each Sunday was a trip to the city dump scavenging things. Furnished and enhanced our lives with the junk we found. I've an enormous stamp collection from those times - too bad no one collects stamps anymore. But, they ain't going anywhere but to my kids.. I'd be a danged galizionaire if stamps were still cool.

Is not life an adventure? :)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Deep,
As you know, I, too, have a stamp collection. Today, it has little monetary value, but the personal value of remembering how things were 'back then' and the fun of collecting will be a lasting memory.
I'll leave it to those who are around after I'm gone to distribute or trash the collection, knowing I received great value for the experience of collecting and the knowledge gained.
Don...

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah Don, my kids get my stuff.

I am so "ashamed" stamp collecting went the way it did. Society just forgot about history. At least it still means something to me - and then it goes to my son, who's more into real estate, than estate planning... And stamps....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hindsight tends to offer plusses or minuses in past decisions.
IF I'd have only bought a few cases of S.K.S.'s .... And more ammo.
They're so crazy today I'm playing with the delight of removing cosmoline on one , just because the price (by todays market) was great.
Got the firing pin freed up and cleaned off. Waiting for warmer weather to finish the rest outside.
Smells like an old canvas tent that was waxed..So did I for a while.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah Dean my friend,

Don't we just try to live a life of peace. The older I get, the more important that becomes.....

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dumped my “junk silver” and bought an Equinox 800 (again). I just try to make sure the investment is a step up...or at least sideways.
I like to think I live by the “three S” rule....Simplicity, security, sanity. It works most of the time.

BornAgain2001

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i were you, i would melt it down into an ax shape. cool to have a silver ax & also give you more space. i think silver will jump soon. many countries are going to be cashless starting 2022. USA to follow soon.

GeoBill

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2021
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2, Whites TDI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, I bet some of those silver "junk" pieces may have quite an accompanying story. Some probably have some good memories. Save those and pass them on with those memories and they may be cherished, along with the stamps, much as you have and do. There are several things I have from my parents, including stamps, that held no interest for me back then, but I cherish now.

"Don't we just try to live a life of peace. The older I get, the more important that becomes..."

For me, retirement has certainly brought that into focus. I think that I might be able to fish without bait, or swing with sensitivity set at zero (or maybe 1), and just enjoy being alive and outdoors. I think that Harold Kushner said it very well in one of his books, that no man one his deathbed looks back and wishes he spent more time at work and his nose to the grindstone. Take time for the things that are really important.

(hope that the teeth weren't yours)

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
(hope that the teeth weren't yours)

Well, in a sense they were my teeth! But not out of my mouth. By some sense or another I was wise enough to keep my teeth firmly rooted in my jaws :)

Mom turned 95 3 days ago, and she still has her teeth as well.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
melt it down into some bars! make yourself a small furnace and have some fun!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
melt it down into some bars! make yourself a small furnace and have some fun!

The way I figure, I'd just burn the crap outta myself!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, in a sense they were my teeth! But not out of my mouth. By some sense or another I was wise enough to keep my teeth firmly rooted in my jaws :)

Mom turned 95 3 days ago, and she still has her teeth as well.

Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Thanks to an accidental hockey stick to the mouth over 50 years ago (before mouthguards), one of my front teeth has been slowly turning brown. My dentist has the same dead tooth! If/When the time comes & its necessary, I'd rather get a gold tooth to replace it.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your mostly interested sending it along from your responses. If you do, I’m interested. Either way, best of luck with your decision.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems we are on the cusp of some serious inflation, which will drive the price of commodities up. Just saying...

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems we are on the cusp of some serious inflation, which will drive the price of commodities up. Just saying...

The inflation cusp was last year for lumber. Hope you don't need any large quantity now.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higher value antique/collectable items from makers like Tiffany or Cartier or pieces like sterling tea infuser balls should of course be kept intact, but the bulk of the scrap could be packed up and shipped to a refinery for a way better payout than any coin shop or pawn shop or scrapper like me would give you. What I do and highly recommend due to the dollar being on the verge of hyperinflation (see the work of Dr Mark Skidmore and Catherine Austin Fitts for some of the gory details) is to get it refined and then returned in bullion bar/ingot form which is much more liquid than tarnished forks and would fetch a nice premium over spot with the high demand for physical right now, if you were inclined to sell instead of squirrel it away.

I use this refinery but others may have even better rates, they also buy gold scrap or refine and return cool 1/10oz bullion coins or bars: https://prospectorsgoldandgems.com/silver-refining/

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if i were you, i would melt it down into an ax shape. cool to have a silver ax & also give you more space. i think silver will jump soon. many countries are going to be cashless starting 2022. USA to follow soon.

... :/

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But, I haven't made my mind up yet.

Over the years I picked up all kinds of silver "junk". I'm deciding as to whether to dump it to members here or just keep holding it. Really though - I got too much.

Got forks, spoons, jewelry trinkets, and many unique things.

Man, even got gold teeth :)

I expect I'll get some entertainment value out of responses here :)

Stay safe out there = it's still Deep!

Input please :)

Post a pic of what you got and the weight involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread