Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted an old farm after work and only got one coin. But it was a good one! Something I have wanted for a long time. A 1854 altered large cent....the dirty version lol. I have seen several people find these and I always wanted one! So funny how people even used this word in the 1800s. Also got a 1939 chauffeur badge and a mystery item as well.

2-22-17.jpg1854 one cunt.jpg1939.jpgone cunt.jpg

Upvote 30
I will confess, you made me go look at my coin collection. Now I have to wait for one.:icon_scratch:

This is a well known alteration done outside the Mint as a scatological joke. The technique involves the use of a tool called a “graver”, that is used to “chase” the metal in the lettering into the desired shape. The metal is moved around by the tool to alter the “E” into a “U”.

This type of alteration of a large U.S. cent was common in the 19th century and there seems to be many available. These large cents are often seen at shows and are sold as a novelty. Value: about $5.

Don......

That's a crazy cool large cent, I've seen a few posted over the years, congrats on yours, not too common of a find!!

i dont think i would have looked pass the 1853 date,cool finds. brad

I knew Hillary was old, but not that old. Nice find!

Great finds I want one too Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

Awe man, now I want one. Something else to add to the bucket list. Great find!

I've never seen one of those before, Sweet find!!
I think I'd still rather have found that chauffeur's tag though.

Congrats on those to finds. :occasion14: Like the others, I need to find one of those altered LCs.

Haha. That is awesome!

Nice finds, Congrats! I would have been excited by the date and the fact that it wasn't clad that it would have been a while before I ever noticed the back. Cool Chauffeur's badge too!

Awesome find!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back