Got Detoured, found Silver ring, 1893o Barbers Quarter

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was attempting to get back to the site if the big small cent spill and got detoured down a road I haven't been on before. Realized I hadn't hunted two sections of woods there. Went back mother's day before dinner and got on a marble, daddy button, an 1920s Amber Kerns bottle I've been looking for a year, pink tint salt shaker, silver kiddiegem ring kids ring, a complete beer tap with badge for Utica Club and an 1893o barber quarter. It's really wet in here so the few whearts and the Buffalo I found as well are completely roasted.

Attachments

• 20220511_141306.jpg
    20220511_141306.jpg
    726.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_20220511_132733_235.jpg
    IMG_20220511_132733_235.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220508_170715.jpg
    20220508_170715.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Upvote 18
OP
OP
RatherBeDigging

RatherBeDigging

Jun 16, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Started with a Minelab xterra 505. Then Equinox 600 with stock coil, xl coil and sinper coil depending on circumstances. Now use a manticore.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds- that bottle is in great shape- Congrats!!
Thank you. Kerns was founded in the 1889 in an an ex butcher shop in Trenton NJ. His early bottles were circle slug blob tops with Kerns and Meyer 122 Rose Street Trenton,NJ on them. Meyer left in 1895 to work at a brewey. Then the bottles just had E.L. Kerns Trenton,NJ on in them. At some point realized his initials spelled Elk and put an elk at the start of the bottle neck with E.L.Kerns under the elk head. The 1st elk bottles have E.l. Kerns Trenton NJ in script diagonally and the elk on the neck. The amber in my post is after the additional E.L. Kerns script was dropped. At some point they did away with embossing on these and went to applied color labels. My dad remembers the acl bottles at family events growing up near Trenton. When this transition to acl happened I don't know. My detecting friend finds Kerns stuff more than I and thinks these non script elks are 20s to 30s.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was attempting to get back to the site if the big small cent spill and got detoured down a road I haven't been on before. Realized I hadn't hunted two sections of woods there. Went back mother's day before dinner and got on a marble, daddy button, an 1920s Amber Kerns bottle I've been looking for a year, pink tint salt shaker, silver kiddiegem ring kids ring, a complete beer tap with badge for Utica Club and an 1893o barber quarter. It's really wet in here so the few whearts and the Buffalo I found as well are completely roasted.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you. Kerns was founded in the 1889 in an an ex butcher shop in Trenton NJ. His early bottles were circle slug blob tops with Kerns and Meyer 122 Rose Street Trenton,NJ on them. Meyer left in 1895 to work at a brewey. Then the bottles just had E.L. Kerns Trenton,NJ on in them. At some point realized his initials spelled Elk and put an elk at the start of the bottle neck with E.L.Kerns under the elk head. The 1st elk bottles have E.l. Kerns Trenton NJ in script diagonally and the elk on the neck. The amber in my post is after the additional E.L. Kerns script was dropped. At some point they did away with embossing on these and went to applied color labels. My dad remembers the acl bottles at family events growing up near Trenton. When this transition to acl happened I don't know. My detecting friend finds Kerns stuff more than I and thinks these non script elks are 20s to 30s.
Sometimes detours work out to be just what is needed to have a good hunt
Congrats on the Barber and the bottle

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool finds and sweet Barber, wtg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions