What's new

Got one off the bucket list

SweepNbeep

Full Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2017
Messages
195
Reaction score
294
Golden Thread
0
Location
The North Star State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Other
Quote Originally Posted by Muddyhandz
"This site only contained a few kettle points (at top of first photo) and the rest iron…"

My reply: "Thanks a lot Muddyhandz. Now I'm going to have to dig every last iron signal I get."

Not sure how many of you remember that exchange from another thread…

Well a few weeks ago, I took the family on a little trip out West. We were visiting some old friends in Montana, but we took our sweet time in getting there, so we could do some artifact hunting and metal detecting along the way. Before heading out, I got permission to hunt some fields. Our main focus was going to be arrowhead hunting, but when we got to the site, we were a little discouraged to find the fields had not yet been plowed. So, that left us little option other than to start detecting. As it turned out, the field was awesome, and yielded some great artifacts linked to the US Cavalry in the 1870's and 80's. I'll be posting more about those finds in the metal detecting forum.

But, I never forgot the post about metal Indian artifacts in which I decided that they were on my bucket list. I specifically remembered Muddyhandz post, when he said that some arrowheads were copper, and others iron. As we began detecting I was pleased to find very little trash, so hoping for any old artifact, I instructed my daughter to dig every single signal, even iron, and I did the same. Awhile later, I was very pleased to uncovered the shorter of the two points. The next morning, my daughter found that beautiful, long slender one. It was a moment neither of us will ever forget. Despite some other great artifacts we found on that trip, these two points were the highlight for both of us. I love metal detecting, and I love Indian artifact hunting, this was just is the best of both worlds for us.

IMG_3060_zpsb1cad1sp.jpg


IMG_3063_zpsjuz7sqyb.jpg


IMG_3062_zps9riite7b.jpg


IMG_3061_zpssnmvj80d.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Them are great points. I really like the bottom one.
 
I love those!! What a fun couple of hunts you both had. Glad you each found one!
 
Awesome! Unfortunately those are still on my bucket list. :sadsmiley:
 
Very nice. Found just one years ago in Maryland. Very hard to get.
 
Thanks for all the nice replies. But as I was thinking about it, I came up with a question for you experts. Do you think this point is Native crafted, or do you suppose it was made in a blacksmiths shop, and traded?
 
Sweet !! Montana...gotta get up there myself sometime.

You should check out the book "The Earth Shall Weep" Has some pretty insane stories about Indian / US wars up there.
 
Awesome! :icon_thumleft:
I have only found one metal point so far here in Montana. I tend to believe that a lot of the metal points were either traded by the Hudson Bay Co for furs, or as mentioned a local blacksmith capitalized on making them and did some trading with the Indians.
 
These actually came out of Dakota Territory, en route to Big Sky Country.
 
Beautiful finds. Can't wait to try and find one myself.
 
Pretty cool never think of some arrowheads being made from metal

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom