Got REALLY excited at a new site...

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a few weeks back I got permission to hunt an old house site, where everything had been cleared off except the silo and two trees. The rest of the site was bare dirt. I don't know exactly when the house was built, it i appears on a 1904 map. So I pull in and am kind of surveying the site, figuring out how I want to attack it, and i decided to do a quick check around the trees, hoping for a cache or something. As I'm walking up to the first tree, before I even get my detector turned on, I see this...

IMG_20141203_113945.jpg

"Yea, right" I say to my self, "like I could be that lucky. It's probably just a lid sitting on the surface". So I try to pick it up... won't budge. so I try to twist it a bit, and it comes loose...

IMG_20141203_113951.jpg

NO F-ING WAY!!! I look in, and its full of water. Between the cold and the not knowing what is in there, I restrained my self from just reaching in and tried to see if I could get anything out with my hand shovel... just mud. SO I spend 10-15 minutes carefully digging around it so I can get it loose, pop it out of the dirt, pour it out AND......... nothing. :dontknow: Just a bunch of mud. swept the detector over it just to make sure i didn't miss something, and no beep. Very exciting, and little disappointing, and then "oh well, at least now I have a cool container for my finds.

Started working the area, and I can tell this is going to be a frustrating site. On the one hand, the whole site is cleared, there is nothing to ruin by digging, so I can make as big of a hole as I need/want, as long as I fill it back in, plus it is an old farm site, so on top of the hopeful silver and maybe gold coins, there will likely be some interesting relics. On the other hand, who ever cleared it left trash EVERYWHERE. So I think this will likely be a site I work a few hours at a time, and hopefully as I start to clear the trash out, better targets will start to show them selves.

Only coin I found was a 2000D dime. Found 2 horse shoes, one was aluminum, which I'd never heard of. Then an odd wrench, a lead cow figure, and a shot shell (probably 28g or 410, still working on cleaning it up. And finally a Marlboro poker chip? The detector did NOT earn its keep today, since EVERYTHING of interest was an eye-spy except the dime. Everything else the detector found was trash.

IMG_20141204_102950.jpg

Upvote 2
Well looks like you found a double dose of luck, 2 horse shoes! Nice finds!
So interesting things should start turning up soon!

Perhaps someone beat you to it, and left the container so others would know that ones found.

Last edited:
OH MAN! Reminds me of the time I was 15yrs old, digging on a 150yr old property, house since removed... Backyard area, under a huge tree. Big signal. Start digging. Hollow thud. Followed by more hollow thuds. Finally get a toolbox out the ground 10 minutes later, break the latch...... and.... empty, save just a bit of nasty mucky black water and just a couple bones.

Family pet. :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back