Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wanted to advise extra caution when your machine is set to dig every target - I've been searching for gold lately and have been digging loads of pull tabs and shards of aluminum..got cut twice this week on this stuff..another time I escaped injury while pulling up a bottle cap with part of the glass bottle still attached.

I guess I'll have to start wearing gloves..

Nat

You should be wearing a glove... I know it gets hot wearing them in the summer, but it's better than getting cut up bad and needing a doctor's visit.

GLOVES!!!! What a novel idea!!!!

Seriously, I know what you mean> I didnt even think about it until after the first day of digging and almost getting cut on a beer can (and it was even empty!). I then came up with a good idea at least for me.

I take a pair of the cheapy latex or vinyl gloves and put them on under the cotton gloves with the rubber grips on the fingers and palm. It keeps my hand dry except for the persperation AND protects from needles, sharp objects such as beer cans and even some wire but difinitely mud and dirt. NOT that there is anything wrong with dirt! I love the stuff!! ;D ::) (I had a bad bad experience when younger with piano wire from a half buried broken piano.)

Keep those wounds clean Nat!!
There are a lot of dangers out there for sure.
I dug a broadhead hunting point last year once and just dumb luck that I didn't slice myself. Three razor edges.

I use industrial gloves every hunt. They are thick rubber on the fingers and palms, waterproof, and stretchy nylon backed. About $3 or $4 a pair at Walmart in the garden or hardware section. They last for months. I usually get a new pair before they ware out becuase they kind of get stinky too after a while.

Smiles!
BDoo

Not a bad idea to get a tetanus shot and the occasional boosters if you enjoy this pursuit.

I have come across razorblades, pins, hypoderminc needles, very sharp can-slaw, glass, etc.

I wear a set of Wells Lamont knit shell nitrile (Lowes gardening dept).

539_hi.jpg

I've run across razor blades out in a field while looking for arrowheads.

That was weird.

Burt

Thanks for the replies..looks like I'll be wearing gloves from now on.

I've dug up 3 arrows, a razor blade, a large fishing hook and tons of shrapnel..I've been pretty lucky thus far escaping injury.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE !!

Nat

Dick from IA said:
I tend to get careless, leaving the gloves in my back pocket. Thanks for the reminder of the potential hazards!

And, to repeat another post, be up to date with Tetanus ;)

Very true...keep your shot up to date. Last year I went in to get updated and the nurse seemed surprised. She said not many people get tetanus shots like they used to. I told her that the thoughts of lockjaw was not appealing. Especially considering the fact if I was quiet my wife would presume I was deceased. I also learned not to crack jokes when the nurse is getting ready to jab the needle into my arm.

I dislike gloves, but I do carry a pair when needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back