Got something cool,but not sure what it is yet.

TheGreat420

Greenie
Apr 23, 2014
oakville,ontario
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi to all . i just got my fisher f4 6 days ago and i'v put in 18 hr and found lots of coins about $14 worth and lots of other stuff to but the best things i have found is a musket ball a bird band from the USA and i'm in Canada and there's a number to call on it and a tracking number so that will be fun to call and see what kind of bird it was on and how long ago. but the weird thing is a lump of unrefined metal that was rusty a bit and had like a white greasy or moldy-est to it not to sure what it was had to use a wire brush to get it off. but what i was left with was what i think to be a lump of unrefined silver. i'm going to put a picture up so you can see it. if you have any idea if i'm right or not please tell me . just really want to know what it is. i'm thinking of taking it to a jeweler. well that's it for now just wanted to share the best and coolest stuff i'v found so far. take care everyone and have fun. 20140507_104252.jpg 20140507_104328.jpg

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pic it looks like a tightly squished hunk of tinfoil or melted blob of aluminum. Is it heavy?

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's zinc or a zinc alloy. I find it in heavily fertilized areas. It looks like a dry cell that leaked and started corroding.
Rather nasty looking and not something I care to handle.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi to all . i just got my fisher f4 6 days ago and i'v put in 18 hr and found lots of coins about $14 worth and lots of other stuff to but the best things i have found is a musket ball a bird band from the USA and i'm in Canada and there's a number to call on it and a tracking number so that will be fun to call and see what kind of bird it was on and how long ago. but the weird thing is a lump of unrefined metal that was rusty a bit and had like a white greasy or moldy-est to it not to sure what it was had to use a wire brush to get it off. but what i was left with was what i think to be a lump of unrefined silver. i'm going to put a picture up so you can see it. if you have any idea if i'm right or not please tell me . just really want to know what it is. i'm thinking of taking it to a jeweler. well that's it for now just wanted to share the best and coolest stuff i'v found so far. take care everyone and have fun.
You might pm Jim Hemingway, he's the Canadian "Resident Expert" on native silver in Canada. It looks like raw silver to me, but I'm not an expert in that field.

Great find!!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just test it. It's the only way you will ever know what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread