Got the bug, now where to start?

mikep829

Jan 18, 2009
Bartlett, TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Wilson Coin Select
My daughter got a cheap little MD for Christmas, started remembering one I had as a kid and started looking around the net about MDing and got the bug, in fact have two detectors on the way and it's killing me waiting. I love history. If anyone has any advise where to go I'd be very grateful. I've researched the history in the area, just don't know where it's OK to go, not looking to get into trouble... The Siege of Suffolk really spikes interest. As I write this my wife said I should just buy my daughter a another detector, so looks I'm going to have another detector on the way. Hope to get the wife hooked next! In Va Beach...Mike

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know about Virgina. But when I find a area that I want to hunt I start by finding out who owns the land and see if I can get permission to detect it. If you want to look for coins and jewelry check out play grounds, parks and the beaches. Good luck and keep up posted on your finds....Matt

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
I havent hunted in Suffolk, but I can tell you that you're going to hear a lot of "Its hunted out" when you talk to other MD'ers, but theres still stuff to be found. Somewhere in VB area theres a few places where some people I know have been pulling up Civil War bullets, fired and dropped, so they are there. If you want to hook up a little better with MD'ers in our area, you might consider joining or attending the next Tidewater Coin and Relic club meeting, theres some pretty good people there, and some that have been hunting the area for over 25 years. It's a great way to network a little with people in your immediate area. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the club info.

Good Luck!

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mike,

Email me at [email protected]. What detector do you use? I would be willing to give you pointers and take you to some house sites so you can decide if this a hobby you would like to invest more time and money into. Let me know!

Wes

VATUGMGR

Greenie
Aug 18, 2008
Hampton Roads
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Suffolk has quite a few public areas that are good for hunting. I have found many bullets in fields and woodlands behinds some of the strip mall areas. If your after coins, just about any part will work in Suffolk, but be sure to get permission from any private property and stay away from registered battleground sights. I don't believe there are too many parks here that are "hunted out", because people keep going to them. Weekends are great times to hunt public school grounds out here too. Good luck, and as you can see there are plenty of us out here that are willing to help in anyway we can. All the best!

VATUG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread