GPL VIII, has anyone ever used this device or similar?

Steve in Cali.

Sep 6, 2007
Looks like a very expensive version of the old "frequency generator" type machine.

In other words, it's junk. Very expensive junk.

Electronic snake oil.

I should stop holding back and tell you what I really think. It's a scam.

K

Kentucky Kache

I've never used a GPL, so I don't know how well they work, but I know they are not the same thing as an LRL.

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a resistivity meter, which measures ground conductance and is generally used in archaeological surveys. It does NOT distinguish buried gold, and the "FERF" claim is completely fabricated.

The GPLs are a 1960's era design that no serious surveyor would even touch. It is grossly overpriced, you can build this design for about $50. If you need a resistivity meter, look for one that has constant current drive, a true 4-probe Wenner method, data logging, and mapping software. You can probably get all this cheaper than the GPL.

- Carl

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A resistivity meter and a 2-box detector do entirely different things, so if you need to do something that requires a resistivity meter then, no, a 2-box will not work just as well. So you need to explain what you are trying to do.

- Carl

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar
In layman's terms, ground resistivity uses probes set out at difference distances. A current is injected into the ground and a value is shown either on a LCD or analog meter. If you were looking for deep caves then use ground resistivity. It is very hard work. Don't let anyone tell you different. The units you see with Gold, Silver and other label's on the meter are bogus. Because the value that is given is related to the ground conditions of the soil. Every place is different. If I used that machine here where I live at sea level, it would tell me there was gold all over the place. The different soil conditions either pass the current or resist the current from passing to the other probe. If you were in my area, you would get about 300 or lower reading. But in a rocky or desert area you may get 1000 and up. There is more than to it than just placing probes in the ground and digging. I have different 2 box detector reports on my site if you want to read them. I also have a resistivity called GCG and you can see plots also. I hope this helped you. Targets have been found 13+ ft using a 2-box! Bring a shovel.

http://lrlman.com/Pages/Reports/Report.htm

Tim

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tim's assessment. If you're looking for caches, forget R-meters and get a 2-box or large-coil PI.

- Carl

OP
OP
sabre15

sabre15

Dec 14, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Discovery TF 900
a 2 box it is, now for which one? Garrett or discover or whites or fisher?

Tim Williams

Dec 24, 2005
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Arc-Geo Logger-TM-808-Garrett XL500-Deepstar
Discovery made Whites 2-box for some time until Whites broke off from Discovery. Basically they are they same except some claim Discovery is more sensitive. Whites sense then removed the cave mode off the Tm-808. Both have ground balancing. Garret has auto ground balancing. Fisher as far as I know does not. But it is tuned by adjusting the offset between coils for a null. I would believe this also would null out the ground conditions. Most claim to go 20+ on a very large target. If I were you I would try each one out and select the one that is most stable and ease of use. I have a TM-808. I had a Discovery. I'm planning on getting a Fisher because with my Arc-Geo Loggers I'm told I can see both miners and metals in the plot. IF I set the detector for a reading on the logger say 75 and the fisher is tuned for metal, when mineral or ground changes occur the reading will decrease. When metal is present the reading will increase. So I should see a nice plot showing both possible voids and metal targets. I may pick one up at the show.

Tim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions