GPX Finds a Flake of Gold! Possible Trade Bead, Buttons and KG

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a GPX a month or so ago. I haven't used it a whole lot but have taken it out twice in the last few days. I bought it to hunt the sites thatI have hunted quiet with my T2 just to see if I was missing anything way down deep. I took it to a site that I hunted with my T2 with the 5", 11", and 15" coil. This is a very small area of finds and I hunted this spot until There was just no signals left except for a bit of iron. First good target was a very deep copper. Then I found a couple buttons. One of them was a tombac that was easily 16" and clear as can be. After I dug some massive craters I swung the T2 in them and pulled a button out of the iron. The GPX does not like iron....thats a fact!!!!
IMG_5374.JPG
IMG_5377.JPG
IMG_5378.JPG
IMG_5379.JPG
IMG_5375.JPG
If anybody knows what the iron pick item is I would appreciate the id.
Ok now for todays hunt and the very tiny very unexpected finds. I took the GPX to a super early site and decided to hunt the salt water shore where I believe there was a stone wharf. This machine is incredible in the salt water shore. There was no modern targets at all at this spot. Unfortunately the tide drove me out and theres lots of long reeds on the higher areas so I couldn't detect there today. I will be returning for sure. I got a couple of the smallest keepers Ive ever dug in my life. This machine will find it if its there. No matter how small. Ive never found gold of any sort detecting. Today I found my first piece and it happens to be a tiny flake of gold. Pretty cool for the first piece.
IMG_5387.JPG
IMG_5388.JPG
IMG_5389.JPG
Now for the other tiny little target. I'm hoping this may be a trade bead. This spot had lots of native and colonist interaction in the 1600s. It is metal as I found it and pinpointed it as well....but I have no idea what its made of. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome guys
IMG_5391.JPG
IMG_5393.JPG
IMG_5394.JPG
IMG_5395.JPG
IMG_5398.JPG
The rest of the finds
IMG_5399.JPG
IMG_5401.JPG
IMG_5400.JPG
Lead fishing weight????
IMG_5402.JPG

Upvote 24

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I've thought about hitting some of the northern rivers for gold flakes... that is more like a tiny nugget! I've been told a certain spot up north has gold in the streams...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if that bead looks beautiful or your hands are really ugly! Lol. My guess as you know, would be a trade bead.

That gold is amazing. Considering where it came from, it was not there naturally, nor by accident. That nugget was being used for 17th C. trade. I'm so happy you're warming up to that GPX. I know that machine will produce some killer finds for many years. However, when I win the lotto, look out, I'm getting a GPZ! Lol

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish Louisiana had gold. To my knowledge it don't.

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. The gold is surely a small nugget. I have never foun_d any gold in any form but rings or coines.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice haul from a place you have detected to where there were no signals left, the GPX will take it to the next level, or I should say a deeper level!!

Very Nice little picker/nugget!

I don't know if that bead looks beautiful or your hands are really ugly! Lol. My guess as you know, would be a trade bead.

That gold is amazing. Considering where it came from, it was not there naturally, nor by accident. That nugget was being used for 17th C. trade. I'm so happy you're warming up to that GPX. I know that machine will produce some killer finds for many years. However, when I win the lotto, look out, I'm getting a GPZ! Lol

Scrappy,

There is natural gold to be found in Maine, there have been many nice nuggets found in many of the streams in Maine not to mention fine gold, I know of at least 10 or more nuggets weighting in between 1/4 ounce and up to 1 ounce that have been found in Maine, but most of the bigger gold found is about the size of what Ahab8 has found, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he finds some other pickers there.

There's also gold to be found in the neighboring states of Vermont and New Hampshire.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your first gold picker with the GPX!!!!! You are now an Official "Nuggetshooter." :occasion14:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking gold flake and many other great finds as well! :icon_thumright:

btjbtj

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro with NEL Big Coil DD. Garrett Pro-Pointer Plus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold?!?! Abe--that's incredible! Congrats to the max. -Lisa & John

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
How did you see those super small targets? Wow, good eyesight! Nice

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds man! Never found any gold since I started detecting ,let alone a gold nugget! Great job!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds! I've thought about hitting some of the northern rivers for gold flakes... that is more like a tiny nugget! I've been told a certain spot up north has gold in the streams...
I honestly never thought much about it until now. This machine is pretty amazing. That little piece and the trade bead came in loud and clear. The last thing I needed was something new to obsess about lol

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice haul from a place you have detected to where there were no signals left, the GPX will take it to the next level, or I should say a deeper level!!

Very Nice little picker/nugget!

Scrappy,

There is natural gold to be found in Maine, there have been many nice nuggets found in many of the streams in Maine not to mention fine gold, I know of at least 10 or more nuggets weighting in between 1/4 ounce and up to 1 ounce that have been found in Maine, but most of the bigger gold found is about the size of what Ahab8 has found, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he finds some other pickers there.

There's also gold to be found in the neighboring states of Vermont and New Hampshire.

Just to clarify - I understand gold exists in Maine, but having known exactly where this nugget came from, it's unlikely it got there naturally.

Great nugget again Abe!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer hunt Abe. I can hardly wait to see what that machine brings out of the already hunted sites.

Sure looks like an trade bead to me. We used to find them around here.

best of luck to you sir!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So a gold pulse machine finds a gold nugget! :headbang: I bet it sounded just like the mess of .22 lead bullets I dug up there with the GPX. I like that KG copper too man.

I have a similar iron piece that I've zapped and I have another that is not processed yet... somewhere in a bucket. I think its part to a harness or farm tool handle... definitely incorporating wood. This one is hand forged and yours looks hand made as well.

IMG_20161031_072125.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread