Grade Please?? 1887 P Morgan

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• coins321 006 (Small).jpg
    coins321 006 (Small).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 375
  • coins321 007 (Small).jpg
    coins321 007 (Small).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 390
It looks like light wear on the highest points of hairline and breast feathers, so an AU coin. It is hard to tell from the pic, but I think I see some hairline scratches that would indicate cleaning in the past. Greysheet puts it at $19 in AU, and if cleaned it drops a few dollars. Ever since silver went up, there has not been as big a premium for common AU Morgans. My opinion...Ryan

I can't tell if there's wear above the ear or not, due to the photo. And if the coin were to grade MS, we'd need several different close-ups to look at bag marks...

So I can't hazard a guess at this point--but she is a beauty.

Regards,

Buckles

I concur with the MS state of the coin, but you can't really tell from a pic.

Thanks folks. I used to take my coin pix with a Kodak Z 700, which took better pix. This lower end Kodak C 330 just doesn't quite cut it. Wish I had something better. Its really a nice coin and shows no signs of having been cleaned. Full breast feathers, hair ect. In fact she had me looking with a mag glass and see details in this one that I simply haven't noticed in others. I checked it best I could for vam errors that I read about on different sites. I see what appears to be a die break around the "plurib" in pluribus. Theres also a small blemish at the first star near her neck that looks like toning........sort of a yellowish,reddish brownish. All the raised features are very detail with no wear what so ever. Sure wish I had a better camera!!! Thanks folks. Cheers, shane

I'm still learning this grading stuff,but I would give this a AU-55 -MS-60 OR 61 depending on better pics can't be much higher cause there looks to be a scratch on the neck an the breast feathers of the eagle look somewhat worn to me...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back