🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Grand Canyon mystery photo?

TigerTown53

Tenderfoot
Feb 5, 2023
Found some old photos of the Grand Canyon and it looks as if there is a statue of some sort in the photo. I have tried to isolate the area of the photo. Does anyone else think there is something there or is my imagination overactive? lol
grand canyon.jpg
gc close up 4.jpg
grand canyon sharpen.jpg
grand canyon.jpg
gc close up 4.jpg
grand canyon sharpen.jpg

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looks like shadows on a rock fracture/crevice to me. If it's a statue, it would have to be pretty huge.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looks like a geological formation to me.

That picture is from John Wesley Powell’s second expedition to survey the Colorado River between 1871-1872 and taken in April of 1872. It’s generally attributed to James Fennemore, but Elias Olcott Beaman was also one of the photographers. John Karl Hillers had originally been a boatman for the expedition, later acting as a photographic assistant, and the tiny figure sitting on a ledge to the right is said to be him.

If there had been a statue or any kind of remarkable feature, it would surely have been mentioned in Powell’s 1875 “Report on the Exploration of the Colorado River of the West and Its Tributaries” (revised and reissued in 1895 as “The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons”).

Upvote 6

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi TigerTown53,
Welcome to the "Show"!
There are numerous Pyramids, Statues, Pictures Carved in the Grand Canyon...some by nature and some by man.
It is a real Treasure Trove!

Grand Canyon1.jpg

Grand Canyon.jpg
Grand Canyon2.jpg

Grand Canyon 4.jpg

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread