What's new

Grandfathers coin collection

rsilva02667

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
353
Reaction score
910
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife's grandfather is moving into assisted living in a couple weeks so the family is going through his stuff and he asked me to look at his coin collection. Of course I will! Now all I know about coins is what I've learned from metal detecting and doing research online. I told him that I would figure out how much everything is worth and put together a fair price and offer it to him. Here's the haul...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666060.438457.webp
1879 Morgan dollar
4 peace dollars including a 1921!
14 Eisenhower dollars
3 Susan b Anthony dollars
8 franklin halves
5 walkers
50 Kennedy 90%
119 Kennedy 40%
101 Kennedy clad
3 silver quarters
A Rosie and a merc
26 wheaties
5 buffalo nickels
And saving my favorite for last.. An 1893 British half sovereign!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666370.862332.webpImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666380.913190.webp
I had never seen a gold coin in person before but I knew right away what it was!

Adding up the scrap silver and gold I came up with about $900. But I know that at least the Morgans, peace dollars, franklins and walkers carry a small collect value. If I value the Morgan at 30$ and the peace dollars at 20$ except the 1921 which is more like 85$. And I put the franklins averaging 16$ and the walkers at 7$ I come up with about 1,090$ for collector value. Do those numbers sound about right to you guys??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666968.948003.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666979.864007.webpImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666988.964833.webp

Thanks for looking!
 
Upvote 16
I won't clean them at all!
 
nice group of coins, hold them at the rim after all finger prints love to dig into silver and stay there, then the value/eye appeal is totally gone. If you did touch some of them on the reverse or obverse leaving fingerprint oils, a dip in PURE ACETONE and a light wipe with a camel hairs paint brush will remove the newly placed oils.
 
AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Very nice collection! I also acquired a coin collection from my grandfather and learned quite a bit researching it. I did have some D and S wheat pennies I sold, unfortunately all of mine were magnetic. I was not sure if you knew about this or not so I wanted to share.

The wheat pennies that you have, do you have any in the year 1943 and 1944? Did you check to see if they have a "S" or "D" under the year. Also put a magnet to them to see if it is steel or copper. This could change there value. Also the stamping of dates and letters on the coins, if they have errors. Missing parts of the stamp, numbers/ letters.

"The easiest way to determine if a 1943 one cent is made of steel, and not copper, is to use a magnet. If it sticks to the magnet, it is not copper and is worth about 50 cents. If it does not stick, the coin might be of copper and should be authenticated by an expert."
 
nice group of coins, hold them at the rim after all finger prints love to dig into silver and stay there, then the value/eye appeal is totally gone. If you did touch some of them on the reverse or obverse leaving fingerprint oils, a dip in PURE ACETONE and a light wipe with a camel hairs paint brush will remove the newly placed oils.

Thanks for the tip!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom