What's new

Grandfathers coin collection

rsilva02667

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2014
Messages
353
Reaction score
910
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife's grandfather is moving into assisted living in a couple weeks so the family is going through his stuff and he asked me to look at his coin collection. Of course I will! Now all I know about coins is what I've learned from metal detecting and doing research online. I told him that I would figure out how much everything is worth and put together a fair price and offer it to him. Here's the haul...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666060.438457.webp
1879 Morgan dollar
4 peace dollars including a 1921!
14 Eisenhower dollars
3 Susan b Anthony dollars
8 franklin halves
5 walkers
50 Kennedy 90%
119 Kennedy 40%
101 Kennedy clad
3 silver quarters
A Rosie and a merc
26 wheaties
5 buffalo nickels
And saving my favorite for last.. An 1893 British half sovereign!!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666370.862332.webpImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666380.913190.webp
I had never seen a gold coin in person before but I knew right away what it was!

Adding up the scrap silver and gold I came up with about $900. But I know that at least the Morgans, peace dollars, franklins and walkers carry a small collect value. If I value the Morgan at 30$ and the peace dollars at 20$ except the 1921 which is more like 85$. And I put the franklins averaging 16$ and the walkers at 7$ I come up with about 1,090$ for collector value. Do those numbers sound about right to you guys??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666968.948003.webp
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666979.864007.webpImageUploadedByTapatalk1441666988.964833.webp

Thanks for looking!
 
Upvote 16
slow down on the dollar coins.... melt is $11 or so... the Franklins are equal to the Walkers, hoping others will chime in with specific numbers to help you
 
The 5 silver dollar coins, the Walkers, Franklins, and silver Kennedys, and the 3 quarters, 2 dimes, and of course the gold all you need to figure....all others face value
 
Did you go to coinflation.com youll find out the real time values of your coins
 
the 1921 peace dollar is a key date coin if it is not mintmarked, check ebay sales for an idea of value. Need dates and mintmarks and accurate description of the other coins to help a little more.....Joe McDonough
 
Joe , the 1921 Peace is listed as a Philadelphia mint coin - (no mint marks on this one ) so high relief, and at least semi key coin in the series .
 
Did you go to coinflation.com youll find out the real time values of your coins

Thanks for the tip, I've been googling each individual coin but going right to that sight helps a lot!
 
the 1921 peace dollar is a key date coin if it is not mintmarked, check ebay sales for an idea of value. Need dates and mintmarks and accurate description of the other coins to help a little more.....Joe McDonough

Ones in similar condition seem to be going for about 100$!
 
slow down on the dollar coins.... melt is $11 or so... the Franklins are equal to the Walkers, hoping others will chime in with specific numbers to help you

Ya I guess I'm way off with those franklins... Idk where I got that number! So around 6 bucks for the franklins and walkers I'm taking it? And the morgan and peace dollars don't carry a premium that high?
 
It seems the only key date I have is the 21 peace dollar
 
The Queen Victoria Half Sovereign is a magnificent gift ! the other silvers aint exactly chopped liver either !!!
 
Just thought I'd share some
Pics
 
Nice collection, but what about adding up those two paper bills into the total? Like another $1.50 give or take what exchange is today. :)
 
Love the coins, personally I'd rub the peace dollars with baking soda to remove the tarnish from the peace dollars( I did that with the ones my grandfather gave me) but if you plan to sell them then obviously don't but real nice collection your grandfather has
 
You will get some extremely fine scratches if you rub the coins with baking soda , I think a little natural tarnish is no problem ,
the scratches are a problem for collectors .
 
Please do not rub any coins with baking soda, this will destroy any collector value! The toning is natural and what the coins should look like.
 
It will definately ruin the value if scrubbed with baking soda!
 
Nice assortment of coins. You're right, the 1921 $ and sovereign are the stars of the show. As someone else mentioned, Walkers and Franklins trade for the same value. You have one, a 1952 that seems like it might be close to uncirculated and worth more, but the big if is if anyone was willing to buy it. You can get nice uncs for not a lot more than silver value. Your silver dollar values are ok, but perhaps a touch optimistic unless you're selling retail. As some have mentioned, do NOT clean your coins with baking soda or anything else. Real collectors do not mind tarnish, they hate cleaned coins. If you don't care about value and want to keep them forever than by all means do whatever you want with them, just don't expect to sell them for the same as uncleaned coins.
 
Nice collection. He took care with what he kept.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom